Senior Program Manager Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER
We are looking for a Senior Program Manager to join our team, reporting to the Lead Program Manager in the Product department. As the Senior Program Manager, you will work across multiple teams, departments, and stakeholder groups to deliver one of the most impactful, ambitious programs at the Foundation.
We are looking for someone who will become a trusted partner and a key member of our teams; to whom multiple teams across several departments will look for guidance about commitments, dependencies, and deliverables. This person should foster a shared understanding of goals and commitments across teams with different styles and expectations. This is a remote position working with teams in the US and Europe. Typical working hours are standard working hours for the Eastern US time zone (UTC -5).
You are responsible for:
Driving projects to completion
- Cocreating new projects of significant impact to the Foundation and developing strategic approaches to ensure their successful execution
- Facilitating dialogue across feature teams and volunteer leaders to drive shared understanding of goals, commitments, and desired outcomes
- Managing the delivery of multiple projects, including project planning and facilitating standups, retrospectives, backlog grooming, and teams’ workboards
- Motivating teams to follow through on commitments, deliver outputs, and uphold a culture of accountability
- Ensuring that the team understands its commitments to its goals and to other teams
- Identifying the resources projects require and ensuring they are available to the team when necessary
- Developing and reporting upon relevant qualitative and quantitative project metrics
Coordinating commitments and dependencies, within and across teams
- Coordinating sequencing of projects and their dependencies, and facilitating a shared understanding of timelines across multiple customer teams
- Identifying stakeholders and keeping them aware of progress
- Coordinating communications and process with other teams
- Building and maintaining coalitions both inside and outside the Foundation
Facilitating healthy stakeholder groups
- Partnering with Product Managers while also supporting the domain expertise of each team member
- Supporting healthy team dynamics and a culture that welcomes diverse perspectives
- Promoting a culture of continuous improvement
- Representing the Foundation publicly on complex, important, and sometimes controversial matters
The right person is better than the right set of experiences. These are the traits we’ve identified that make great additions to our team so far.
Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years experience managing multi-stakeholder groups with staff, partner organizations, and volunteers
- Solid command of Agile approaches to software development and their underlying principles
- Strong knowledge of theoretical and practical aspects of project management including identifying stakeholders, defining requirements, crafting schedules, ensuring testing, and facilitating implementation
- Ability to anticipate risks, resolve conflicts, and initiate escalation paths
- Strong program management skills: prioritization, organization, planning, time management, facilitation, problem solving, and decision-making
- Ability to build rapport and influence with distributed teams representing various cultures, featuring different communication and learning styles
- Ability to build relationships and trust, influence without authority, and effectively enforce accountability
- Strong interpersonal communications skills
- Detail oriented with an ability to keep big picture in mind at all times
- Passion for process improvement
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience working in an international organization that has a distributed workforce
- Experience working within a movement with strong culture and values
- Experience working with online communities, particularly as part of the free culture movement
- Fluency in languages other than English
- Experience contributing to Wikipedia or other Wikimedia projects, especially Wikidata
- Global perspective, with significant experience living or working internationally
- Bonus points for non-profit experience
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/3455300