Senior Product Manager, Wikimedia Enterprise Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
SENIOR PRODUCT MANAGER, WIKIMEDIA ENTERPRISE
Wikimedia Enterprise is a new cross-departmental project of the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) to build fast, comprehensive, reliable, and secure data ingestion to organizations that wish to repurpose Wikimedia content in other contexts. Wikimedia Enterprise builds and supports commercial-grade services that improve the user experience of Wikimedia's readers beyond our own websites; increase the reach and discoverability of Wikimedia content; and improve awareness and ease of attribution and verifiability by the organizations that reuse Wikimedia content the most. Read more about the project in WIRED and Insider.
As the Senior Product Manager, you will get to work with an amazing (and uniquely global) team of engineers, designers, and operations folks to craft and build out the roadmap of Wikimedia Enterprise. In this role, you will have the opportunity to think through some of the problems facing external reusers of Wikimedia content and create solutions that drive product results that directly reach billions of people across the globe. Your work will directly support the financial sustainability of the Wikimedia movement and help the projects thrive for years to come.
The Enterprise product is moving quickly from idea to full launch, both in spirit and in practice. We are a distributed and diverse team of engineers with a drive to explore, experiment, and embrace new technologies. We build quickly and deploy often, and our work has a very high impact on the global knowledge ecosystem. We respect the values that drive our movement, the community of volunteers that power our projects, and the customers that help us reach even larger audiences. We are looking for someone who has a strong product background to take on challenging problems and find and implement strong, lasting solutions.
Travel is not currently required due to the pandemic. During non-pandemic times, some travel is expected, generally 3-4 times per year.
You are responsible for:
- Partner closely with sales, product leadership, design and engineering teams to help define, update, and execute a product roadmap
- Create product specifications, vet them, and drive their implementation and success with project managers and engineers
- Work with leadership to explore new market opportunities through qualitative and quantitative research
- Become an expert in the nuances of working with Wikimedia data for external reusers
- Work cross departmentally with teams across the Foundation to drive product strategy
- Communicate product vision to internal and external stakeholders
- Work to expand global access to free knowledge
Skills and Experience:
- 4+ years of experience in product management or equivalent experience
- Proven track-record of a willingness to tackle hard problems head-on
- Experience working with structured and unstructured data
- General understanding of data governance, data modeling, data pipelines, and data infrastructure
- Experience building API-first products for B2B customers
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to explain complex technical requirements for multiple audiences
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant work experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- A desire to make meaningful contributions to knowledge equity, free culture, and open access
- Ability to communicate clearly in both synchronous and asynchronous channels
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Familiarity with Wikipedia / wikitext / markdown editing or content management systems (e.g., MediaWiki, Drupal, WordPress)
- Experience with service-based and streaming architectures
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/3413964