Senior Product Manager, Structured Data/Content Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
Senior Product Manager, Structured Data/Content
Wikimedia is looking for an experienced and collaborative Product Manager to join our Product team to enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
Wikipedia is one of the largest internet properties in the world, visited by 1 billion people a month across 280 different languages. All this knowledge is created and managed by the more than 200,000 volunteer contributors in hundreds of Wikimedia projects.
You will work with experienced teams of designers, content engineers, data engineers, data scientists, analysts, and product managers to develop and execute a roadmap, delivering on our mission. In doing so, you will learn from and partner with stakeholders across community relations, program and product, as well as Wikimedia volunteers. This is an opportunity to ‘do good’ while having a high level of impact on a large-scale media property.
About the role:
Wikipedia content is primarily a mix of prose and tables, which means the content is not easily managed with data technology. This makes it challenging for us to reformat, search or repurpose the content and it makes it difficult for other individuals and organizations to create new experiences from our content. The Structured Data team’s goal is to bring more structure to Wikipedia content and then build or support features that make use of the new structure. As an example, the team recently built features into our image repository to create media metadata, and then developed a greatly improved media search experience.
You are responsible for:
- Lead the prioritization and development of new products and features to enable the world to consume content and participate in content production
- Partner closely with stakeholders across the organization and understand the needs of users to develop the product roadmap
- Collaborate closely with product and engineering teams to handle new requests, prioritize work, communicate progress, and ensure that we deliver impactful work that aligns with our strategic priorities
- Deliver iterative products that drive incremental value and enable quick feedback from stakeholders wherever feasible
- Use both qualitative and quantitative methods to measure the impact of your work
- Work to expand global access to free knowledge!
Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of demonstrable experience as a product manager or equivalent role defining, designing and building data products that span across data science, data analytics, data flows, etc.
- Experience building consumer-facing products
- Proven track-record building complex data products leveraging supporting data analysis, reasoning, and optimization as part of the decision making process
- Understanding of structured and unstructured data (SQL and NoSQL)
- Expertise in data handling approaches and data technologies with good understanding of system development lifecycles and modern data architectures (Data Models, Data Lakes, Data Warehouses, etc.)
- Familiarity working in an agile software development environment
- Capability to work within cross-functional teams to drive results
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with the ability to translate complex technical requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant work experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- Passion for increasing participation on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Background in software development, engineering, data science or analytics
- Experience working with large groups of active collaborators: community building, activism, product evangelism, or in open source movements
- Proficiency in more than one language
- Experience editing Wikipedia or contributing to other wiki projects
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/3455295