Senior Product Manager, Structured Data Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
SENIOR PRODUCT MANAGER, STRUCTURED DATA
Wikipedia is looking for an experienced and collaborative Product Manager to help build features that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
Product Managers at Wikipedia work with researchers, engineers and designers to build features, products and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. This is an opportunity to ‘do good’ while having a high level of impact at a large-scale media property.
About the role
Wikipedia content is primarily a mix of prose and tables, which means the content is not easily machine readable. This makes it challenging for us to reformat, search or repurpose the content and it makes it difficult for other individuals and organizations to create new experiences from our content. The Structured Data team’s goal is to bring more structure to Wikipedia content by creating ways for users to structure the content and then build or support features that make use of the new structure. As an example, the team recently integrated machine-readable data into our image repository, and then developed a greatly improved search experience.
As a Product Manager, you will:
- Lead the prioritization and development of new products to enable the world to consume information and participate in information production.
- Co-creating and communicate a product vision to internal and external partners
- Work with a highly talented team of engineers and designers to define, design, and build features that delight
- Collaborating with our large community of users and volunteers to improve features
- Understand user needs in order to prioritize new features and product enhancements
- Release early and often, getting feedback from users to help improve features.
- Using both qualitative and quantitative methods to inform decision making and measure the impact of features
- Be a positive force for change!
- 2+ years product Management experience
- Experience building consumer-facing products
- Experience working with cross-functional teams to ship products
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for increasing participation on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
- Experience developing a Structured Data ecosystem including structured content, knowledge graphs and taxonomies
- Experience with Search Platforms
- Experience working with large groups of active collaborators: community building, activism, product evangelism, or in open source movements
- Proficiency in more than one language
- Experience building for mobile
- Experience editing Wikipedia
- Experience with open source software development
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/3036235