Senior Product Manager - Special Projects Remote - US / Canada
We’re looking for a world class Product Manager to join the Special Projects team at GitHub. On this team, we work on a wide variety of projects with a high degree of autonomy and at a high tempo. In the past several months, we’ve worked on projects to remove customer friction points across GitHub.com, to improve workflows for Enterprise customers by partnering with teams across GitHub, and on various special projects to highlight the power of open source and software developers around the work (but right now, these projects are secret).
The Special Projects team is looking for a Product Manager to help us identify opportunities to have a positive, high impact towards a wide range of GitHub experiences and products while also helping us prioritize and make hard decisions. You will need to use your judgement to help drive decisions alongside your peers in Engineering and Design. In this role, you won’t own a complete product or area; instead, you will have the opportunity to directly impact and improve a wide variety of experiences across GitHub.
A Day in the Life
Our team is distributed and works asynchronously much of the time. We meet as a group once a week and provide plenty of focused time to dive into work. We utilize Slack and Zoom to collaborate and communicate. In a given week you will:
- Investigate, understand and prioritize customer friction that can come from support tickets, Twitter, other GitHub employees - especially the Sales team, and any other countless locations; you will then translate the customer pain points in potential work for the Special Projects team.
- Provide feedback, guidance, and pragmatic solutions to the engineers and designers working on tasks.
- For one-off special projects, you will build a plan while working cross-functionally across the company to deliver the project on time, at a high quality, and while supporting your peers within Special Projects for shared success.
- Demo the team’s work to company executives and stakeholders.
- Identify potential opportunities within GitHub for the team to make an outsized impact on the GitHub product.
- Represent the customer. You need to be the champion and voice of customers in every conversation. You will build direct relationships with customers and you will immerse yourself in customer feedback. You will also build processes to ensure everyone on our team understands the needs of our customers.
- Ruthlessly prioritize. You will work together with the Engineering leader and the rest of the team to make tactical prioritization decisions while helping the team think long-term.
- Collaborate within your team. You will work together with a small team of engineers and designers to deliver a multitude of features. At any given time, you will need to provide your guidance and drive features across a multitude of product areas.
- Collaborate and build trust across teams. Your success will require coordination across multiple teams and domains at GitHub, across product, design, engineering, marketing, PR and customer-facing roles such as sales and support.
- Deliver the best work in a limited time span. You will need to listen to diverse perspectives and work with others to move forward to ship secure, maintainable, and consistent features. You will need to show a resourceful, driven attitude when taking on tasks while balancing pragmatic solutions against our team’s time box.
- 3-5+ years of engineering, design, product management, or equivalent experience with demonstrated ability to discover opportunities and define and deliver products.
- Skill and enthusiasm for translating customer feedback into actionable priorities with an eye to pragmatic solutions.
- Strong technical abilities including experience with developer tools, particularly git.
- Strong organizational skills, both at an individual and team level.
- Experience working across organizations with Sales, Marketing, Support, Product, Engineering and Design.
- Entrepreneurial thinking and the ability to act effectively with only high-level direction.
- Strong communication skills, with clear verbal communication as well as explicit and mindful written communication skills.
- Passionate and self-motivated, with a demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong customer and stakeholder empathy and understanding.
- Demonstrated ability to lead multidisciplinary teams and cross functional projects across a wide product area.
- Experience working in a startup environment where you feel comfortable making decisions efficiently and communicating them effectively.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/2998720