Senior Product Manager, Open Source, Canonical and Ubuntu › Home based - Worldwide
This is the Fast Track application process for Senior Product Managers at Canonical. It is designed for be a central pathway for strong product management candidates to apply for an open role at Canonical. During the recruitment process we will assess the best fit to existing public and confidential initiatives, and shape later stages of the process for the candidate specifically.
We expect leaders in product management at Canonical to be experts in the business of software - from ideation, to investment, promotion, advocacy, marketing and sales.
As the global platform company behind Ubuntu, with the mission to deliver all of open source wherever it is the critical ingredient, we offer a wide range of software opportunities. If you agree that open source is the future of most software, then you'll enjoy being part of the team that aims to deliver it. If you have a strong business head and a passion for software, with interests anywhere from IoT and the edge to the heart of public cloud, we can likely find a very interesting product for you to drive.
We are hiring product management in the following areas:
- Cloud native development and operations (Docker, Kubernetes, CAAS, PAAS)
- Web services and online services - REST APIs and database-driven sites
- IoT - embedded Linux technologies and capabilities
- Systems management for IoT devices, desktops, servers and VMs
- Containerisation and virtualization technologies
- Devsecops tooling, practices and services
- Commercial business systems for Canonical itself
- Data applications from SQL databases to big data
- AI/ML ops and technologies
- Robotics and embedded Linux in a wide variety of industries
- Security offerings, practices and services
- Storage from raw disk to filesystem to network block and object storage
- Networking from bare metal to SDN and overlays
- Distributed systems design and implementation
- Linux, the kernel and Ubuntu itself
- Desktop Linux and desktop applications on Windows and macOS
Product managers at Canonical must have software engineering experience in order to work effectively with their product engineering counterparts. They should drive product choices and priorities in partnership with those engineers. They should also be forceful presenters, speakers and writers, capable of generating interest and excitement in their innovation and their products.
Product managers are particularly focused on the marketing and go-to-market strategy for their products. They need to be comfortable with a requirement of content strategy and execution - building a following, optimising for search traffic, driving the narrative and generating leads that turn into business for the company around their ideas and their products. We think of product managers as "startup founders", which comes with the bottom line expectation that you know where you want to drive your product, how you're going to beat the competition, and how to sell that story to the world. In return, you get the brand of Ubuntu and Canonical behind you, and access to the machinery that powers the most widely used open source platform on the planet.
What could you do with that? Let's find out.
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu. Canonical is a unique tech company - global, remote-first, open source, with 700 professionals across 50 countries - we want to be the world’s best, not biggest, global software company. With almost every team remote by default, Canonical sets the pace on the 21st-century digital workplace.
What Canonical offers:
- Work from home
- Learning and development allowances
- Competitive Salary
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Generous annual leave
- Paid maternity, paternity and sick leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Exposure to international business and technology
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.