Senior Product Manager, Growth Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
Senior Product Manager, Growth
Wikimedia is looking for an experienced product manager for the Growth team in our Product department. The Product department builds the wiki experiences that enable our communities to achieve our vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. This is an opportunity to have a tremendous impact with one of the most beloved parts of the internet.
Wikipedia is one of the most popular media properties in the world, visited by over 1 billion people a month across over 300 different languages. All this knowledge is created and managed by more than 200,000 volunteer editors. The Growth team works to help people become Wikipedia editors by introducing learning and editing workflows that are a fit for people on all types of devices, especially those in emerging communities around the world. We build a cohesive new editor experience, helping them find a place in our communities, connect with others, and start contributing their knowledge. Our main projects have focused on machine-learning driven task recommendations and volunteer mentorship, and have observable impacts on new editor engagement.
As the product manager with the Growth team, you will work with community members, researchers, engineers, and designers to drive the strategy for inspiring new people to start and continue editing Wikipedia. You will also be an important part of defining a broader strategy for our Product department.
You are responsible for:
- Developing and driving strategy for the conversion funnel of new editors to Wikipedia.
- Becoming an expert in the goals and challenges of new editors joining the Wikipedia community from different backgrounds, geographies, and experiences.
- Leading the product development process to discover, define, develop, and deliver the features in the new editor experience.
- Setting priorities for a cross-functional product team of a designer, engineering manager, software engineers, QA engineer, data analyst, and community relations specialist.
- Collaborating with volunteer community members around the world who participate in the Growth team's product development process.
- Collaborating with fellow product managers to define higher-level strategic priorities.
- Coordinating and collaborating across other departments, such as Marketing or Partnerships, that participate in the new editor experience.
- Releasing and iterating intentionally to provide incremental value and validate hypotheses.
- Using quantitative and qualitative methods to evaluate impact.
Skills and Experience:
- 3+ years of experience managing user-facing web products
- Demonstrated success in growing a new user base or in launching new features
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
- Experience working in an agile or iterative software development environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant work experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Strong listening skills
- Ability to clearly communicate plans and results to stakeholders and collaborators
- Ability to develop process and structure for an evolving team
- A desire to make meaningful contributions to knowledge equity, free culture, and open access
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience with a two-sided platform or marketplace product
- Enthusiasm for users who love to create and contribute
- Experience building features for mobile devices
- Experience working with communities, volunteers, or open source projects.
- Experience with digital marketing tactics
- Experience with products backed by machine-learning
- Experience with fully remote, geographically distributed, and asynchronous teams
- Proficiency with data, reporting, analytics, or A/B testing
- Experience editing Wikipedia or contributing to other wiki projects
- Experience with users in emerging markets, such as the Middle East, Africa, South Asia, or Latin America
- Fluency in a language other than English
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/3667627