Senior Product Manager, Data Platform Remote - US / Canada
GitHub is changing the way the world builds and secures software, and we want you to help build GitHub!
As GitHub grows its portfolio of services, it’s essential that we use data to inform our strategic decision making. To do this, we’re building a world class Data Platform that Product, Engineering, Revenue, Support and other teams at GitHub can use to scale understanding our customers and drive decisions that ultimately meet their needs. We are looking for someone with passion for data engineering, analytics and data science and strong product management experience to lead our Data Platform efforts. As a senior leader you’ll be responsible for ensuring that our systems scale, are performant, and meet the needs of our internal customers. Together with other senior leaders in GitHub’s Data Org, you’ll also be responsible for defining a vision and strategy for how our Data Platform at GitHub evolves to support the needs of the business. This is a highly-visible role with GitHub, with frequent interactions with senior leaders in Data, Product, Engineering, the field, marketing as well as other key decision makers across the company.
What you will be doing:
- Own the vision for your area. You will be responsible for specific areas of Data Platform, and will need to work across the entire company to build the vision for how we use data at GitHub and ensure it aligns with our business goals.
- Manage the roadmap. Make tough tactical prioritization decisions while helping the team think long-term. Build trust with stakeholders by maintaining an understandable, accurate roadmap.
- Collaborate across teams. Your success will require coordination across multiple teams and domains at GitHub. We build large systems that span many teams and so we win or lose together.
- Data driven decision making. Analyze data for trends and potential developer pain points, and use this to prioritize and inform how to improve our systems and general analytics and data science ecosystem. Go back to the data when needed to answer questions.
- Measure success. Own the measures used to define success for your area. Success measures must be defined at the inception of a product and tracked throughout its lifecycle. Make measures visible to all stakeholders and interpret them into actionable conclusions and new hypotheses.
- You have 5+ years of engineering, product management, program management, or equivalent experience with demonstrated ability to bring people together to build large performant systems.
- You are familiar with modern software development practices used to build and deploy both web applications and data infrastructure on cloud service providers (Azure, AWS or GCP).
- You have strong technical abilities and a track record of working through complex technical problems.
- You possess strong communication skills, with clear verbal communication as well as explicit and mindful written communication skills.
- You strive to empower others and build an inclusive team.
- You are an expert on building data platforms for complex software applications.
- You have experience building and running services in Azure.
- You are passionate about effective delivery of data and data-driven insights to a diverse audience
- You know the difference between data as product and data as a service, and have opinions about when each works best.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/3319845