Senior Product Designer, WordPress.com Worldwide
Senior Product Designer, WordPress.com
We’re looking for a passionate, motivated Product Designer to join the WordPress.com design team as part of our growing design organization at Automattic. You’ll collaborate with engineers, designers, marketers, and customer support in our fully remote company. Your mission is to help our customers be more successful online and help make the web a better, more inclusive place.
WordPress.com is a hosted version of the open source WordPress software that powers more than 32% of the web. It enables small businesses, independent publishers, hobbyist, non-profit organizations, and everyone in-between to build a website or blog quickly without any technical knowledge. The WordPress.com network welcomes more than 409 million people viewing more than 15.5 billion pages each month. We believe in enabling freedom for all echoed by our mission to democratize publishing one website at a time.
Which brings us to you: We need you to help us further our mission, enabling people all over the world, to create their place on the web for whatever their interest or need is.
What you’ll be doing:
Objective #1: Drive the interface design and interactions of a new site building and management experience targeted at small businesses.
- UI & Visual Design: Design at all levels of fidelity including sketches, wireframes, prototypes, visual designs, and detailed interactions for a product at scale — taking into consideration the full customer journey, touchpoints, mobile, and product experience.
- UI Savvy: Working in collaboration with UX designers, you’ll design solutions for customer problems and the strategies that have been identified, focusing on the execution of inclusive, top-class visual design and interactions on WordPress.com. Your product background and emphasis on research and strategy will play a supporting role to your main focus of designing the screens people interact with.
- Communicate: Effectively communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale in written form as well as verbally and visually to gain alignment and move the work forward.
- Execute: You’ll partner with developers in the building process with an eye on quality, execute at all design stages, and ensure a polished experience. You obsess over details and are excited to polish until your work is pixel-perfect.
- Iterate & Validate: Working in short design cycles, you’ll iterate on designs according to research and feedback, validating your work with data and real users. You will conduct evaluative testing to validate and inform the design decisions we’re making.
Objective #2: Drive the advancement of user interface design process and practices at Automattic, including the integration and adoption of a new design system (Muriel).
- Grow Our Design Community: You’ll collaborate with other members of the design team to give feedback and continually improve each other’s work, and the design process itself.
- Evolve Our Design Process: You’ll help improve our evolving design system, Muriel, and process by actively connecting with other designers across the company, and providing feedback to our design system team.
Have you done this before?
Do you have experience producing inclusive, top-class interfaces and interactions at scale?
If you’d like this to be your next challenge, send us your resume, a portfolio (if you have one), and answers to the following:
- Tell us why you’d be a good fit for the role.
- What is the product design accomplishment that you are most proud of? Speak specifically about a time when you improved an existing product.
We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out.
We’re serious about growing diversity in the tech industry. We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and empathy to those with whom we interact. Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences, and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.