Senior or Staff Fullstack Engineer - Real-time Editing (Incubation Engineering) Worldwide
GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
A brief overview of the GitLab Incubation Department:
The Incubation Engineering Department within the Engineering Division focuses on projects that are pre-Product/Market fit. The projects they work on align with the term "new markets" from one of our product investment types. They are ideas that may contribute to our revenue in 3-5 years time. Their focus should be to move fast, ship, get feedback, and iterate. But first they've got to get from 0 to 1 and get something shipped.
Senior/Staff Fullstack Engineer : Real-time Editing Experiences (Incubation Engineering)
At GitLab, we believe in the power of a single engineer to accomplish amazing feats. Many open source projects started with a single engineer’s decision to build around a problem they personally experienced. For instance, Continuous Integration by DZ and GitLab Runner by Kamil. In single engineer groups, we create room for this energy.
We can guarantee a higher rate of success by incubating ideas inside our larger organization and existing code base while limiting the negative aspects of friction that come from a larger organization. A few benefits of SEG include:
- There are lots of decisions to be made, which happen more effectively in a single brain.
- There is not enough code for multiple people to work on without running into merge conflicts.
- Starting work earlier allows for more time for other people to contribute. We need to have a head start many years ahead of commercialization.
This group is focussed on Real-time collaborative editing of issue descriptions and will build upon the recent work to view real-time updates of assignee in issue sidebar.
The goal is to have real-time collaborative editing of issue descriptions in order to turn issues into a Google Docs type of experience. Initially we will dogfood this at GitLab for meeting agendas and notes.
There are additional ideas within the Real-time collaboration Epic, however the goal of this SEG is the minimal functionality described above.
This effort will build upon the recent work to view real-time updates of assignee in issue sidebar where we explored if there is customer value in providing the following functionality:
- allow people with developer permissions and above to see if someone else with developer permissions or above is looking at the same merge request/issue/etc
- start a collaboration session which allows Google Docs style typing in text fields (comments, issue descriptions etc)
- allow people collaborating in the same session to easily follow each other to other issues and merge requests etc
More detail is available in the Real-time collaboration Epic.
- Develop features and improvements in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Work closely with company leadership to guide GitLab’s entry into the market represented by the SEG
- Interact with community members and help drive initial user adoption
- Develop strategies for scaling beyond the Incubation phase
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Regularly demonstrate progress to stake holders
- You meet the requirements for a Senior Backend Engineer (or above)
- You bring strong technical skills and an ability to work across backend, frontend, and infrastructure management code. Experience with Ruby/Rails or Go, Terraform/IaC, and Vue.js are particularly relevant given GitLab’s current tech stack
- You demonstrate a desire to work in a “startup within a startup” with a broad scope of ownership and high degree of autonomy.
- You demonstrate an interest and experience in the subject matter. This means you're interested in enabling users to collaborate in real-time - think Google Docs or Figma!
- You must be excited about the ability to work independently, or have prior success in a similar "incubation" model
- You understand the competitive landscape and market opportunities in boards.greenhouse.io
- You are comfortable with changing direction based on stakeholder feedback and market conditions
- You're passionate about great UX
- You have a background in building scalable services
You'll stand out if you bring experience in
- Being a prior company technical cofounder
- Being an early contributor to a successful open source project
- Working successfully on a prior single-engineer group
- Extensive familiarity with the GitLab project and application
- Working with people around the globe
- Real-time editing functionality like you find in Google Docs or Figma
- Knowledge of operational transform algorithms
- Have distributed systems experience
- Have worked at high scale.
- Have an interest/passion about learning CFRDTs
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $89,600 - $220,400 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/5324625002