Senior Optical Network Engineer Worldwide
Quickly maturing startup seeking like minded Sr. Optical Network Engineer! PacketFabric redefines how companies procure, consume, and manage their network connectivity. The technical team is a small, talented, and close knit group and we need some accounting help to make business operations flow smoothly.
As a well rounded Optical Network Engineer, you should be the type that appreciates diversity in your day, and relishes challenges outside of your comfort level! You will be touching some of the most cutting edge network and optical equipment on the market, so you must come armed with well developed problem solving skills. Also needed is a willingness to take risks and learn new technologies as soon as (or before) they come to market.
A typical day in the life of a PacketFabric Network Engineer might include these types of activities:
- Troubleshoot any issue related to overall network health, be it backbone or customer facing, hardware or software.
- Perform turn-ups of new circuits with both customers and vendors.
- Monitor overall network health (logging and metrics) for any potential issues.
- Schedule maintenance windows for code upgrades, capacity augmentation, or other potentially impacting network changes.
- Upgrade / replace hardware across the network, working directly with the network architects.
- Respond to and work to resolve customer issues via phone, chat, or support tickets, during work hours or during rotating on-call schedule.
- Provide feedback on improving automated system tools that support the network.
- And of course, since this is a start-up, we aren’t just asking you to wear one hat. When you get a break, you can assist any of our other teams!
Skills & Requirements
The right candidates will most likely have a CS degree and have a strong background working in large scale telecommunications environments, with a proven track record of completing projects on time in spite of obstacles.
Specific requirements include:
- Expert understanding of optical transport equipment and its underlying technologies.
- Experience implementing and troubleshooting both long-haul and regional/metro DWDM networks.
- In depth knowledge of coherent optical technologies, EDFAs, raman, wave division multiplexing, ROADMs, etc.
- Candidate should have working knowledge of routing protocols (IS-IS, BGP, MPLS), common network designs, and best practices found in large scale service provider, data center, and cloud networks.
- Working knowledge of various Layer 2 interconnect technologies, their applicable uses and typical industry implementations, including but not limited to L2VPN and EVPN/VXLAN.
- Experience with carrier class routers (Juniper).
- Experience with major datacenter providers (Equinix, Digital Realty Trust, Coresite, etc). Familiar with facility interconnection methods and use of “remote hands” for installations and troubleshooting.
- Intermediate-plus understanding of current 'off box' provisioning and operational tooling.
- Experience with managing your own tasks and projects, and a highly organized mindset.
- Extreme customer facing mindset, with the ability to communicate with customers when under intense pressure.
- Not to big for the small jobs, not to small for the big jobs.
- Big plus for knowledge of python or other scripting languages.
About PacketFabric, LLC.
What PacketFabric doesn't offer:
- A dress code - so sorry, no casual Fridays.
- Pre-meetings where we plan meetings.
- Hours wasted in traffic commuting to the office.
- Dull moments.
- Rigid and defined job structure.
What PacketFabric does offer:
- An opportunity to create in the space of new technologies like SDN and large data sets.
- Flexibility to play the different hats in a start-up.
- The change to disrupt entrenched Internet infrastructure.
- Interaction and involvement with the community groups such as Open-IX, Nanog, and RIPE.
- New and interesting problems around automation of fundamental Internet infrastructure.
- A team that likes to learn from each other.
- A continuous develop environment where we are always turning out new features.
- The ability to work with many different technologies.
- The ability to work with lots of open source technology.
- A non-corporate and relaxed atmosphere, with small company culture.
- VERY good health, dental, and 401K.
Our Hiring Process
Our hiring process is designed for us to get to know you as a person and engineer. It is also intended to give you an opportunity to get to know us! This is what you can expect:
- Hearty greeting from the hiring manager.
- Original code sample submission.
- 45-minute phone interview with the hiring manager.
- Take-home coding assignment related to the work you will be doing at PacketFabric.
- 45-minute phone interviews with 3 engineers you will be interacting with at PacketFabric on a regular basis.
- Reference check.