Senior Manager, Trust and Safety Operations Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
Senior Manager, Trust and Safety Operations
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a Senior Manager, Trust & Safety Operations to join the Legal team to advance the Wikimedia movement’s vision of every human being able to freely share in the sum of all knowledge; as well as its strategic direction - that by 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join us.
The Senior Manager, Trust & Safety Operations will report to the Director, Trust and Safety. As part of its investment in the sustainability and well-being of its volunteer online communities, the Wikimedia Foundation is seeking an experienced Senior Manager who is able to guide the organization’s T&S Operations teams and take on individual cases and project initiatives of strategic importance. The T&S Operations teams put a strong focus on in-depth investigations, resilient operations capabilities, and continuous process improvements. This position will be responsible for shaping and overseeing T&S Operations and leading progress towards the Foundation’s safety and security goals within the departmental team framework.
As the Senior Manager, T&S Operations you will need a good understanding of how to shape thriving online communities, T&S industry best practices, especially in countering disinformation challenges, and law enforcement relationships. To address these complex problems, you will have to understand the technical possibilities as well as social norms and how to work with volunteers from disparate backgrounds to encourage building a culture of high behavioral expectations and excellent peer enforcement thereof. You will be the primary point person for leadership on T&S Operations and its performance. You are a seasoned, experienced manager and are able to creatively solve a wide range of challenges. You will exercise good judgment in determining the most appropriate method, technique and/or priorities for achieving operative excellence and efficacy.
You are responsible for:
- Articulating a comprehensive and coherent perspective on the role of T&S Operations as they support the Wikimedia Foundation, the movement it serves, and develop the capabilities that supports this perspective with a focus on disinformation challenges
- Ensuring departmental excellence through close collaboration with the Director of Trust and Safety, the Vice President of Community Resilience and Sustainability, other departmental team leaders, and the General Counsel in planning and resourcing departmental and cross-departmental initiatives impacting Trust and Safety Operations
- Overseeing the systems addressing protecting child safety and processing such material in compliance with applicable legislation
- Participating as a member of the Trust and Safety lead management team in planning and resourcing portfolio-wide objectives
- Managing the Foundation’s Trust and Safety operations in the Americas, especially workflows intersecting with headquarters and emerging projects of high priority requiring staff from multiple teams
- Leading the Trust and Safety Operations team in the Americas; mentor, motivate, and support their continuous professional development
- Coordinating with other teams and departments in the Wikimedia Foundation to realize opportunities and enhance organizational impact
Skills and Experience:
- Proven experience effectively managing multiple KPI's, projects, and initiatives in a rapidly changing environment
- Direct experience for 4-8+ years managing multi-tiered teams and desire to help others learn and grow
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English, including the ability to synthesize complex topics and create compelling narratives for various audiences
- Strong data background; highly proficient pulling/synthesizing data and identifying trends, causation, correlation, etc (high level SQL preferred)
- Experience with disinformation challenges in large platform environments
- Experience working in a global organization that has a distributed workforce
- Understanding of both social and technical approaches to support enhancing community interactions and dynamics
- Ability to effectively partner with multiple levels
- Ability to identify effective solutions to complex problems and function well in ambiguity
- Ability to anticipate risks, resolve conflicts, and initiate escalation paths
- BA/BS degree or equivalent in related work experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- Experience with, or understanding of, free knowledge, open source, free culture, or other online communities and operates with high sensitivity around culture with the goal to respect, preserve and enhance
- Command of major non-English languages; especially Spanish or Portuguese are seen as a plus.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2018
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/2253395