Senior Manager, Technical Program Management (M4) United States
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Senior Manager, Technical Program Management.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to lead our very talented team of senior TPMs that support high-priority cross-functional initiatives across Twilio's engineering and product organizations.
Twilio is seeking an exceptional and passionate Senior Manager of Technical Program Managers (TPMs) within Twilio's Program Management Office (PMO). Reporting to the PMO's Director, Program Management, this role will provide direct leadership for a team of senior TPMs, and also be the TPM partner to multiple product and engineering teams. As such, we are looking for an exceptional TPM, an experienced people manager of Technical Project or Program Managers, as well as a TPM leader with experience working with developers and engineering teams.
The ideal candidate has a clearly articulated value proposition for TPM within Technology & Product organizations. Also, you have experience with process development, change management, and can help solve tough operational problems.
As leader within the PMO team, you will directly influence and strengthen the PMO TPM contributions across Twilio's engineering and product organizations. Partnering with the Director, Program Management, this role will have accountability for generating concrete TPM contributions, maintaining a high level of TPM value-add, and scaling the team. Partnering with Product & Engineering leaders, this role will develop an understanding of their business priorities and apply TPM contributions in a manner which generates the greatest business value-add.
As a Senior Manager of Technical Program Management you will live the Twilio magic:
- BE INCLUSIVE: Work cross-functionally across multiple organizations to identify processes that best support initiatives that require cross-functional collaboration in order to deliver business outcomes. Iterate and improve based on feedback from all stakeholders.
- DRAW THE OWL: Build program frameworks and operational processes that increase the efficiency and quality of execution of the PMO TPM team.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Continuously develop and mentor the Technical Program Managers on your team to enable them to be successful in their roles and the initiatives that they directly manage.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: Deeply understand the business health and key performance metrics and bring business first focus to technology initiatives. Deep dive regularly into data and metrics to identify risks and opportunities and follow through with action-oriented insights.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Translate recommendations to results by executing on action plans and project/program management as needed, draft quarterly and annual team roadmaps
- NO SHENANIGANS: Efficiently and effectively communicate findings / progress to cross-functional teams, senior leadership and the broader Platform Engineering organization
Given the incredible exposure of the PMO team across Twilio, we expect you will enjoy the diversity of fun and complex challenges you take on.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
We are looking for a Manager or Senior Manager of Technical Program Management who lives the Twilio Magic with:
- 8 - 12 years of experience as a TPM partnering closely with software development, devops, systems and infrastructure engineering and product teams
- 3 - 5 years of experience as a people manager of TPMs in a SaaS environment; experience providing coaching and mentoring to advance TPM skill sets
- Able to clearly articulate the value-add of TPM to engineering and product organizations; experience being an advocate for TPM
- Experience developing and managing engineering or product portfolio planning and tracking processes and cadences
- Exceptional communication skills - able to successfully adapt your style and leverage strong listening skills to inform your approach
- Strong leader, comfortable engaging with people at all levels; successfully manages via influence
- A natural problem-solver and strategic thinker; able to bring clarity to chaos and navigate through ambiguity
- Experience successfully rolling out changes within a team and across multiple organizations; comfortable with adapting to change
- Highly collaborative, and partner-oriented professionally, working effectively with multiple cross-functional teams.
- Have familiarity with AWS, GCP, and other infrastructure and SaaS providers
- Senior level understanding of Agile software and systems development lifecycles; experience as a Scrum Leader on engineering scrum teams
- Experience driving technology sponsored programs; familiarity with high level cloud architecture tiers and priorities for system reliability and scalability
This role will be based in the remote US.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location dependent information)
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is 160,080 - 200,100.
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/4050487