Senior Manager, Software Engineering - Studio United States
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a dedicated Senior Manager, Software Engineering to join the Twilio Studio engineering team that designs and deploy scalable customer communications workflows. This new role will support the acceleration of future Studio goals and vision. As a senior engineering manager you will manage a performing team with critical scalable systems and very hardworking engineers. Additionally this role may manage another small team through an engineering manager or a tech lead. If you are eager about developing talent, and have experience of managing successful teams at scale you are probably a good fit. Some strengths you'll need are enabling and empowering managers/tech leads and engineers, be deeply passionate about developing engineers, comfortable with ambiguity and enjoy building relationships with your counterparts. If you are interested, please read this further.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of leading engineering teams. You have
- Demonstrated track record of leading and developing teams that design and implement highly scalable software services by living Twilio values and magic.
- 4+ years of experience as an engineering manager handling not only strong teams but also mentoring and coaching junior engineering managers and tech leads.
- A history of working on highly scalable distributed systems in a full native cloud environment with a focus on operational excellence.
- Ability to thoughtfully prioritize a technical roadmap with a focus on delivering incremental customer value.
- Experience in agile processes and standard methodologies, mentoring, coaching and developing software engineers and tech leads.
- Strong communication skills: in person and on paper, You can explain technical concepts to product managers, other engineers, and support members
- Be a strategic problem solver and thrive when operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services
- Distill complex and ambiguous situations into practical plans for your team
- Enthusiasm for software engineering with focus on back-end engineering
- 7+ years relevant work experience, or a degree supplemented with relevant experience in the field.
As an Engineering Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: Manage and grow a team of passionate engineers as they grow and deliver the Twilio Studio roadmap. Provide support and guidance that enables the teams to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability in delivering software changes. Work closely with other teams to drive and adopt emerging standard methodologies and technologies to deliver on the promise of our Studio
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to engineers while guiding them to enhance their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their goals and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- BE BOLD: Be hands-on with the engineering team - seeking out standard methodologies and challenging the team’s decisions and designs.
- DON’T SETTLE: Institute development standard methodologies to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Be intellectually honest when evaluating tools, conducting due diligence, and deciding development strategy and execution within your team.
Twilio Studio lies at the heart of Twilio's strategic priorities. In this role you would influence Twilio’s newest and fastest growing product. You would be a visible leader and would work closely with teams at every layer of the company. Your success would deliver great customer experiences at major brands around the world (Twilio’s customers), and you would enable them to deliver better services to their customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position can be fully remote from states located in US Eastren and Central time zones. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3714016