Senior Manager, Software Engineering - Edge Proxy United States
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
It’s time to build. Twilio is the world’s leading customer engagement platform empowering the world’s developers to build modern communication applications and experiences. We seek an inspired and technical individual to join our Commons Platform leadership team. Commons Platform is part of the broader Twilio Technology Platform organization responsible for providing a platform used by Twilio product engineering teams to build global-scale communications services. This Engineering Management position is for the Edge Proxy team responsible for delivering the infrastructure for the front door of all HTTP traffic at Twilio. Commons Platform is unique in that our services are used by Twilio customers and engineers alike. If you are excited about leading a team focused on scale, third-party enablement, and elite web and API experiences, you may be a fantastic fit.
Are you willing to bootstrap a new team? Are you passionate about ensuring that your teams are building useful interfaces that enable other engineers? Are you able to lead from behind and think at scale both organizationally and technologically? Have you thought about how to enable teams to develop platform solutions that delight customers? If the answer is yes to any of these questions, we want to speak with you!
Twilio is looking for an Engineering Manager to join the Commons Platform organization and lead the Edge Proxy team. You may be a fit if:
- You are a software leader that is passionate, empathetic and customer-focussed.
- You have a strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- You are able to coordinate with distributed teams across time zones.
- You have experience recruiting, hiring, and cultivating talent for your team.
- You are able to teach and mentor future architects, principal engineers, tech leads, and software engineers. Can you raise the tide to lift all boats?
- You have software engineering management experience in a large-scale, enterprise environment, leading teams which build and operate critical PaaS or SaaS products.
- You think pragmatically. Can you reason about complexity in a pragmatic manner? Can you help work to reduce complexity?
- You act inclusively. Can you be a key leader of a generative organization and promote inclusive values and empathy across the organization?
As an Engineering Manager in Platforms, we expect you will:
- Cultivate your team. Engineering teams are autonomous mini-startups at Twilio. As Engineering Manager, you will be the COO of the Platform Modularity startup responsible for people, process, and execution of the team. Can you hire well, manage performance, provide coaching, and develop your team and products?
- Build with empathy. Your team will ship great Platforms that delight your customers. You are expected to know your customers and walk in their shoes. Can you help your team understand your customer’s needs, identify problems, craft solutions, and deliver value to our customers?
- Lead from Behind. To quote Nelson Mandela, “It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.” Can and will you lead from behind?
- Be an Owner. Trust is the number one thing that Twilio sells. Companies rely on Twilio to “just work”. As a DevOps organization, we build and run our own services. Operating with excellence is imperative. You will be accountable to identify, supervise, and communicate team KPIs, SLOs, and SLAs. You are required to work with your team to set and execute on your annual and quarterly SMART goals. Can you be the owner of your team?
- Ruthlessly Prioritize. Each and every engineering team is a potential customer for Platforms at Twilio. Every request is the highest priority. While we strive to help all customers and respond compassionately, will you be able to identify requests that have the most impact and prioritize ruthlessly?
- Demonstrate Good Judgment. Great engineering managers display good judgment consistently. They make good decisions even in the face of ambiguity. They think and decide strategically instead of reacting to tactical issues. Can you consistently make decisions that better your team and the company?
- Collaborate Effectively. The best teams at Twilio have effective collaboration between the Engineering Manager (Team COO), Tech Lead (Team CTO), and Product Manager (Team CPO). Will you inspire and develop your team to collaborate among themselves and with their customers? Will you facilitate discussion through conflict? Will you achieve results without dictating and deciding decisions top-down?
- Communicate Effectively. You will be required to communicate effectively upward to executives, sideways to your peers, and downward to your team. Are you able to distill sophisticated thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Are you respectful even in stressful situations?
The Edge Proxy team is a part of Edge infrastructure which services all API and web console traffic for Twilio. As the front door for all HTTP traffic, our services have ambitious high availability and performance requirements. Twilio is comprised of 150+ empowered autonomous engineering teams that are mini-startups each responsible for a piece of the larger Twilio puzzle. We serve the many teams that build public APIs and web applications for Twilio. Edge Infrastructure provides edge gateway services that are a part of every API request and web application pageview. It is extremely important for us to build reliable, available, performant services!
Twilio believes in the power of Platforms to create leverage and empower developers. Our internal platforms enable our own small teams of developers to stand on the shoulders of giants, enabling them to focus on making world-class services that delight our custoers.
Twilio is truly unique: We are a company committed to your development, your growth, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We are growing rapidly and seeking talented leaders to join us on our journey.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For more info, see Twilio’s 2023 D&I pledge and plan
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$160.896,00 - $221.232,00
Rest of Colorado:
$140.784,00 - $193.578,00
Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3205827