Senior Manager, Developer Education Remote, US
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is seeking a Senior Manager for our award-winning Developer Education team who will help us achieve our mission: to challenge and empower developers to build the future of communications.
This position will lead the half of our team which owns Twilio’s technical documentation program, a crucial part of our developer relations strategy and our business overall. You will manage a talented team of technical educators and also own strategy, execution, and measurement for our docs program. You will also build key relationships and processes as you work with our stakeholders across Twilio’s R&D, Go to Market, and Support teams.
Most importantly, you will set a vision for our team to not only achieve best-in-class documentation by today’s standards but to push beyond those standards to discover new ways to empower developers.
We recognize that this role is fairly unique, and so we don’t expect any individual candidate to be perfectly qualified. With that in mind, here are the most important qualities we’re looking for in candidates:
- You are a servant leader: You have managed a team before. And from that experience, you now believe that in order to achieve your goals you must elevate everyone around you. You put the needs of your team first, coaching them to perform, grow, and realize their full potential. You also take pride in helping those you serve get the spotlight.
- You are a technical educator: During your career you have taught developers through technical documentation, online training, or live workshops. You understand what makes developers unique vs. other technical audiences and what’s different about their journey from novice to master of a new skill.
- You are a planner: You understand how to devise a years-long strategy and map the tactics that will get you there. You use data to guide your work but marry it with your own experience and beliefs to lay your plans. You’re no stranger to the difficult prioritization exercises necessary in an environment where there’s always more you could do.
- You are a cross-company collaborator: You have successfully navigated large, distributed organizations and the needs of varied stakeholders to deliver results. You have experience reaching out and building relations but also creating the processes and forums to help others work with you.
- You don’t hesitate to open a code editor: You may not have started your career as a developer yourself, but you aren’t afraid of writing some code from time to time. This is most important when you’re checking your own team’s work by putting yourself in your audience’s shoes. Other times, however, you might be hacking on some data or building a small tool to serve your team.
- You don’t settle for conventional wisdom around developer education: Our documentation program is privileged in that we receive strong support from Twilio compared to other programs in the industry. That also means we have the opportunity to raise the bar for what developer education can be. Our ideal candidate is excited at the prospect of leading a top-of-class technical documentation program and the chance to push beyond today’s standards to discover the playbook our industry will use for developer education ten years from now.
No role can be encapsulated in five bullets, but we feel these are the most important responsibilities of this position, mapped to The Twilio Magic:
- BE AN OWNER - Lead and manage our technical documentation team: You will inherit a high-performing team of seven technical educators, taking primary responsibility for their performance and growth.
- WRITE IT DOWN - Own strategy, execution, and reporting for our documentation program: You’ll own the long-term vision for our program along with the priorities, metrics, and goals you’ll use to guide the team’s work quarter-by-quarter. You’ll also own broadcasting our progress to all our key stakeholders within Twilio.
- EMPOWER OTHERS - Build key relationships and scale internal processes across the company: You’ll identify and invest in key relationships across Product, Engineering, Sales, and Marketing to achieve your goals. You’ll balance that work with building processes that allow other teams at Twilio to work with us at scale, ensuring we can meet the needs of Twilio’s next phase of growth.
- BE INCLUSIVE - Recruit, hire, and expand our team of technical educators: To keep up with Twilio’s ever-expanding product portfolio, you will partner with the Director of Developer Education to earn further investment in the team and then own hiring and onboarding for your new educators.
- DRAW THE OWL - Contribute to leadership and planning efforts across our developer marketing program: You’ll work closely with your peer who owns our developer training (TwilioQuest) organization and the Director of Developer Education to set our broader education strategy. You’ll also occasionally contribute to strategic efforts that span our entire developer marketing organization.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This is a position based anywhere in the US. You will be given the ability to work from a local Twilio office, co-work with others or work from home. You can enjoy our incredible perks: monthly book reimbursement, monthly wellness reimbursement, monthly All Hands and more.
Our entire developer marketing organization has a strong remote culture and is remote by default. Most of the people you will manage will not be based in a Twilio office. We also, however, believe in the importance of meeting in person a few times a year. For this role we also believe some occasional time in the field at a community event is useful experience. Between those two activities, you should expect to travel domestically 1-2 times per quarter and internationally 1-2 times per year (once COVID-19 is behind us).
We also believe that in order to do this job well, you need a balanced work and home life. We offer generous PTO. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/2158790