Senior Manager, Data Engineering Remote (US or Canada) /
Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people use 1Password to protect their most important information, and we believe those people – and the companies they work for – shouldn’t have to choose between security and productivity. We see security as a human challenge, rather than a technological one. It’s hard work, but our mission has always been to ease the tension between security and convenience and help people navigate the digital world without fear or friction. Human-centric security is part of our DNA, but human-centricity is also the backbone of our culture. We encourage big ideas and new ways of working that help us to make the online world a safer place for everyone.
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineering Manager to join our growing team of Data Engineers and manage the processes and people responsible for accurate data collection, processing, modeling, and analysis.
The ideal candidate has a knack for seeing solutions in sprawling data sets and the business mindset to convert insights into strategic opportunities for our company. You will work closely with leaders across product, sales, and marketing to support and implement high-quality, data-driven decisions. You will ensure accuracy and consistency in our reporting and decision support by designing appropriate data architectures, setting up alerting and observability frameworks and correcting business processes to prevent data quality issues.
The right person for the job will apply their exhaustive knowledge of data engineering to solving real-world problems faced by our company and finding opportunities for improvement across multiple projects, teams and business units.
This is a remote opportunity within Canada and the US. You will be expected to be fully remote, ideally in the Eastern Time Zone.
What we're looking for:
- At least 5 years of experience in a position monitoring, managing, manipulating and drawing insights from data, and someone with at least 3 years of experience leading a team.
- 5+ years of experience doing data mining, and experience building data platforms to support advanced analytics.
- 3+ years of experience collecting and modeling data from various databases and SaaS tools.
- Deep knowledge of various modeling techniques for structuring analytical databases
- 3+ years of experience working with various data related AWS services, primarily AWS Glue (Apache Spark), AWS Kinesis, AWS Lambda, AWS Redshift.
- Deep knowledge of Event Streaming.
- Strong SQL skills, ability to perform effective querying involving multiple tables and subqueries.
- 2+ years of experience working with DBT. The Analytics Engineering team uses DBT for our data-warehouse automation.
- Experience optimizing data pipelines to reduce time to insight.
- Experience managing infrastructure on AWS (we use terraform for our deployments)
- Experience deploying data products that leverage statistical modeling techniques: (e.g. linear and multivariate regression, classification, time series forecasting, etc.).
- Strong problem solving, quantitative and analytical abilities.
- Strong ability to plan and manage numerous processes, people and projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and delegation skills.
What you can expect:
- Lead cross-functional projects to ensure appropriate information is ingested from all our internal and external tools to empower analysts throughout the organization in deriving insights.
- Design and build technical processes to address business issues. You will consult with business stakeholders, analysts, analytics engineers and various engineering teams to determine appropriate data integration strategies.
- Build and maintain our data platform capabilities to ensure accurate and timely availability of insights in various analytical and operational tools.
- Evolve our data platform strategy as our needs grow.
- Set clear objectives for your teams and inspire your team to achieve business goals.
- Communicate results and business impacts of insight initiatives to stakeholders.
- Develop and implement quality controls and departmental standards to ensure quality standards, organizational expectations, and regulatory requirements.
- Anticipate future demands of initiatives related to people, technology, budget and business within your department and design/implement solutions to meet these needs.
Even if you don't tick all those boxes, we'd like to hear from you.
The most important thing you can bring to this job is the drive to dive in, get the work done, and fix root causes instead of treating symptoms. We believe in continuous learning and support professional development on the job with a budget to back it up. If you bring a desire to do the right thing for our customers, a sense of ownership over the product you work on, and a focus on shipping quality code, we want to hear from you.
United States-based roles only: Minimum annual salary for this role is $200,000.00 USD, plus immediate participation in 1Password’s benefits program (health, dental, 401k and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs. All employees are owners of 1Password and receive an equity grant as part of their total package. At 1Password, we approach each individual's compensation with a promise of fair market value and internal equity commensurate with experience and specific skill set.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Complimentary Headspace membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact [email@example.com].
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it. If you have any questions about how we use or process your information, or if you would like to ask to access, correct, or delete your information, please contact our privacy team at [firstname.lastname@example.org] or through 1Password Support.