Senior Infrastructure Engineer Worldwide
Collage.com’s mission is to make the creation of custom products easy for everyone, by providing superior software and excellent customer service. We sell an expanding variety of photo and home products, including photo blankets, photo books, canvases, pillows, and more. Our company has been featured on the TODAY Show, The View, and Good Morning America many times. We are a 100% employee-owned company that has rapidly grown to 60 employees and $50M annual revenue since 2013.
We are 100% Remote
As a 100% remote company, we are set up to provide the best possible environment for engineering. The less time developers spend dealing with cumbersome processes, inefficient systems, and commuting, the more time they have to solve problems and make an impact. Collage.com’s co-founders/co-CEOs both come from a technical background and believe in staying at the forefront of best practices so that we can focus on work that matters. We pass almost all of The Joel Test (we only fix high-priority bugs before writing new code, but hey, we’re a start-up), use continuous deployment (code goes straight to production after each merge), and are in the process of adopting mobx-state-tree with React. Strong engineering is a key part of our business strategy -- it lets us build best-in-class design tools faster than our larger competitors.
We are seeking a senior software engineer who is passionate about reliability and believes in advance planning to stop fires before they start, which is critical for our seasonal business. As the senior infrastructure engineer at Collage.com, you will help define our strategy across the whole stack -- from AWS configuration up to the front-end application. You will establish processes and systems to help engineers test for reliability and performance, as well as live monitoring tools to detect problems in production.
We have a variety of monitoring systems already in place, but are looking for someone to push the envelope for detecting problems with Collage.com. We hope to find an engineer who not only keeps up with industry best practices, but can also develop custom tools to solve our hardest problems, like recording and replaying state changes in our custom application to track down difficult bugs. We look forward to you joining us in our mission to make our software fast and bug-free for everyone, all the time.
- Make decisions about Collage.com’s site reliability and performance strategy/roadmap.
- Own live monitoring systems across the entire software stack -- maintaining existing tools (e.g., CloudWatch, NewRelic, TrackJS, OpsGenie) and implementing new systems.
- Lead advance planning to prepare our services for handling 10x seasonal traffic (setting scaling policies, provisioning resources, doing load testing, etc.)
- Manage processes and automated stability/performance checks that the team uses to develop fast, reliable software.
- Triage and respond to alarms from our monitoring systems with the help of other engineers, and participate in an on call rotation during the holiday season.
- Write and maintain code throughout our tech stack, which largely consists of PHP and JS/TS (mostly React).
- Make decisions about code design, architecture, and refactoring to balance technical debt against delivering functionality.
- 5 years of experience developing modern web applications.
- Two years of experience focused on site reliability for high-traffic applications.
- Excellent planning and communication skills, including the use of spreadsheets/database queries to analyze and present data.
- Track record of getting buy-in and alignment when working on cross team initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent work experience.
- Prior experience in a start-up environment is nice to have.
The Interview Process
The goal of our interview process is to identify people who will be a good fit for our company and are talented, motivated engineers. Because you will be working remotely, all of our interviews are done remotely. We look for candidates with good written and verbal communication skills who embody our company values (which can be found on our careers page).
During the interview process, you will:
- Speak to a member of our talent acquisition team which will be mostly an experience and values/culture fit assessment
- Complete a shorter technical exercise
- Speak with a senior member (manager) of our engineering team
- This interview will focus both on culture fit and higher level technical skills. If manager they should focus on team fit dynamics and career goals to ensure a match.
- Complete a more complex technical assessment that is intended to emulate your actual work environment
- See “Coding Exercise” section below
- Speak with our back end architect
- This will focus on deeper technical understanding and some team fit questions
- Speak with our VP of engineering and both founders/CEOs of the company
- VP - Focuses on coachability (potential) and ability to perform the aspects of the job outside of just coding (I.E. ability to work with PMs, mentor and coach etc.). Also looking for team fit dynamics and approach to problem solving. Spend time understanding career aspirations to ensure we will be able to keep the individual motivated in the near and long term.
We believe in transparency, and will give you the opportunity to speak with anyone else you’d like to meet before accepting an offer. You are making an important choice, and we want to make sure you are fully committed to joining our team.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/collagecom/jobs/5103127002