Company: Four Kitchens
- Creating custom solutions using PHP for Wordpress or Drupal
- Understanding web infrastructure to create highly-performant and scalable features.
- Passionately keeping pace with rapid innovation in web technologies.
- Working with project management to estimate new project opportunities.
- Working closely with clients on project engagements to deliver exceptional code, consulting and advice.
- Annual salary of $80,000 to $90,000, depending on experience, plus benefits.
- Generous time off policy. We plan for each team member to take up to 25 days of time off annually. Take time when you need it and own your destiny!
- Paid holidays – including days such as MLK Day, 4K Founding Day, and a Winter Holiday (usually a full week).
- $2,000 annual professional development and education budget. This can be spent on conferences, seminars, classes — anything that advances your professional goals.
- 100% paid medical insurance for employee, including dental and vision.
- 100% paid life and disability insurance for employee.
- 3% Safe Harbor non-elective employer 401k contribution.
- $150/month tech stipend to spend on your home office and equipment needs.
- Flexible scheduling and working remotely.
- An excellent work environment filled with smart, funny people who love what they do.
- Identifies with our Core Values
- Ability to display 2+ years experience with open source PHP content management systems like Drupal or Wordpress
- Experience creating and consuming REST web services
- Experience with test automation: TDD, unit/integration/functional testing.
- Experience with HTML5, CSS3, cross-browser and device development.
- Ability to self-direct and manage tasks effectively as a distributed team-member.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Use of Git and Gitflow for version control in past professional roles.
- Well-rounded understanding of adjacent technologies and methods
- Experience working on enterprise projects.
- Knowledge of best practices to optimize performance.
- Familiarity with Agile project management methodologies.
- Previous work on open-source projects and experience adhering to coding standards.
- Bachelor's degree. (Why preferred rather than required? Because we don't believe that college teaches people how to be good at what they do. Experience and passion are more important, and being a constant self-educator is essential.)
About Four Kitchens
Four Kitchens is a leading digital strategy firm with strong roots in the open-source and free-culture communities. We build websites and apps to engage audiences on virtually any device, in our pursuit of setting knowledge free. We hire developers, designers, and strategists with strong consultative skills and a desire to make a difference, both to our clients and to each other.
Our Values and Culture
Our Web Chefs bring more than their professional skills to the kitchen and we encourage everyone to help guide the direction of our company. We all have a strong voice in what we do and how we do it. Collectively, our values—The Way Of the Web Chef—guide how we interact with each other, our colleagues, and our clients. Four Kitchens is not just a company — it's a closely knit team. We believe in the power of individuals coming together to do something bigger than they could have done alone.
We believe good talent is where you find it and, as a distributed team, we’re excited to be pioneers in what we believe is the future of work-culture. Even though we have no physical office, we strive to remain a collaborative community using tools like Slack and Zoom. The Web Chefs span four time zones and our goal is for team members to feel like they are working together in the same room, even if they're thousands of miles apart.
We care for our teammates as people, which is why we have an generous PTO policy, encourage time off, and have a great benefits package. Not only do we strive to maintain a good work-life balance, but we also participate in interesting and creative projects outside of client work to expand our abilities.
We hope you'll join us!
Include the following materials with your application:
- Cover letter. Nothing fancy, but please address the following: Why do you want to work at Four Kitchens? What motivates you? Tell us about which of our Core Values resonates with you the most and why!
- Samples of your recent coding work. Public contributions on Github are a bonus, but any recent work is helpful. We are looking for a code sample that will be a good starting point for a conversation about your experience and development philosophy. If the sample you provide is part of a team effort please describe your personal contribution. Feel free to redact or obfuscate any client-identifying info. If you cannot show us actual code, please be prepared to describe your coding philosophy and standards in detail.