Senior Frontend Engineer Philadelphia, PA
We are a diverse team, working remotely from all around the world, coming together to work on a mission of raising the standard of trust online. We want your help, wherever you are!
Join the Frontend team as a remote Senior Frontend Engineer and help shape the technology that powers DuckDuckGo's products. DuckDuckGo is headquartered in the US, but this role is open to everyone!
As part of our growing team, you will be collaborating with team members at all levels to identify and execute on improvements in our existing products and take part in creating new products to assist in furthering DuckDuckGo's mission. Examples of projects you might work on include building out and improving content blocking within our extensions, running experiments to investigate and improve the usability of the search engine, and taking ownership of product verticals (e.g. local search) on the main Search Results page.
We are fully-remote and seek to empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their projects. If this resonates with you, and you like the idea of our core values -- build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction -- you'll fit right in!
What you will do:
- Lead development of projects by taking vague problems, scoping them into high impact projects, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Play a key role in improving the software architecture (both in our user-facing products, and internal processes) with the goal of increasing quality and throughput.
- Take responsibility for solving major product issues, from initial scoping through implementation.
- Contribute to and demonstrate ownership over major features of the SERP and/or Extensions, taking responsibility for their maintenance and improvement over time.
- Collaborate with and mentor peers on product brainstorms, technical design discussions, pair programming sessions and code reviews.
- Write pragmatic, testable code that works consistently across all permutations of settings, devices and browsers.
What we are looking for:
The ideal candidate for this role will exemplify both technical expertise and empathy. We are looking for someone who wants to not only execute on interesting projects, but also have a positive impact on a team of engineers. Specifically, here's what we're looking for in a candidate:
- Previous experience working on at least one large front-end application.
- Previous experience working with many different architectural design patterns on the front end.
- Ability to work within a Linux environment.
- Ability to weigh conflicting company priorities and make a compelling case for the most important thing to work on.
- Prior experience collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- Comfort with ambiguity :ability to autonomously work in a "grey area" environment.
Other things to know:
- We are a small, remote team in different time zones and communicate with a variety of tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! You can expect to travel at least 2x a year: once for our all-hands meetup and another for a team retreat which you will have a key role in leading (each ~4-5 days)
- Our work philosophy is built upon empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to lead projects, including you.
- All projects are run transparently, and we encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback around the product and internal projects.
DuckDuckGo does not work with any recruiting agencies or services. A big part of our culture is to work with each candidate on a one-to-one basis throughout our unique hiring process.
DuckDuckGo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you using the application below.