Senior Frontend Engineer (Remote) Worldwide
We are a diverse and fully-distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join us as a Senior Frontend Engineer and help shape the DuckDuckGo user experience across all of our products.
As part of our growing Frontend Team, you will collaborate with team members at all levels to identify and execute on improvements in our existing products and contribute to the development of new products that further DuckDuckGo's mission. Examples of projects you might work on include: expanding and improving content blocking within our extensions, running experiments to measure and improve the usability of the search engine, and taking ownership of product verticals (e.g. local search) on the main Search Results page.
We are a remote company, we empower our team to work wherever they want around the world. That means you have to be self-directed and self-motivated to succeed. If that seems awesome and you like the idea of our core values -- Build trust, Question assumptions, and Validate direction -- you'll fit right in.
What you will do:
- Lead projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Contribute to and demonstrate ownership over major features of the SERP and/or Extension, taking responsibility for their maintenance and improvement over time.
- Step up to resolve product issues – large and small.
- Play a key role in improving our software architecture (in both our user-facing products, and internal processes) with the goal of increasing quality and throughput.
- Mentor peers through remote collaboration opportunities in an autonomous environment, including: product brainstorms, technical design discussions, software design best practices and code reviews.
- Write pragmatic, testable code that works consistently across devices.
What we are looking for:
- Experience working on at least one large frontend application.
- Deep understanding of software engineering foundations such as data structures, algorithms, and design patterns.
- Effective project management skills.
- Creative problem solvers and risk takers. You like to take initiative to push projects forward but know when to involve others.
- Excellent communication skills. You can validate your decisions and communicate them clearly.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We strive to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job, we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expecting an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
DuckDuckGo does not work with any recruiting agencies or services. Instead, we work with each candidate one-on-one throughout a unique hiring process that we've built to reflect our company culture.
DuckDuckGo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Use the application to apply!
Please note that:
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that information submitted is accurate and that you understand falsification is cause for denial of employment or termination.