Senior Fraud Prevention Engineer (Remote) United States
We are a diverse and fully-distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join us as a remote Fraud Prevention Engineer, assisting the DuckDuckGo team of Site Reliability Engineers dedicated to fraud mitigation.
As part of our growing team, you will collaborate with team members at all levels to identify and remediate invalid traffic on our platform. Examples of projects you might work on include: identifying trends with the objective of improving site performance, leveraging data to develop statistical solutions to help fight fraud, partnering with stakeholders to quickly respond to rapidly-evolving threats, and assisting with growing a team of SREs dedicated to fraud mitigation.
We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work. If you would thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you -- build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction -- you'll fit right in!
What you will do:
- Lead high-complexity projects from scoping to production.
- Work closely with search engineers and business managers to respond to rapidly-evolving threats.
- Apply a data-driven approach to a wide variety of signals to identify, understand, and scope emerging fraud trends and uncover root causes.
- Improve our existing fraud system through automation, better signals, workflow streamlining, and system optimization.
- Participate in the full development cycle: design, develop, QA, experiment, analyze, and deploy.
- Participate in a shared on-call rotation to quickly respond to real-time fraud incidents.
What we are looking for:
- Significant experience with data science, with a focus on analytics.
- Experience with statistical modelling and time series analysis.
- Confidence with pragmatic use and development of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience in botnet detection and mitigation.
- Experience in fraud prevention on at least one large web-based application.
- Ability to effectively navigate and improve a large and complicated code base quickly.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We strive to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- We offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expecting an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
DuckDuckGo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Use the application to apply!