Senior Firefox Performance Engineer Remote Canada, Toronto, Vancouver
Why join Mozilla engineering?
Learn: Code review at Mozilla includes pushing to passionate contributors around the world. Building Firefox and its family of products requires knowledge up and down the stack, and extremely high standards for security and optimization. Beyond the browser, we’re developing AR/VR, IoT, and voice recognition products that respect and protect privacy.
Grow: We’re dedicated to helping every team member develop. We give engineers trust and responsibility from day one, offer generous stipends for learning opportunities, and provide mentorship, especially around key leadership skills like collaboration and clear, kind communication.
Make Your Mark: We’re small but mighty, challenging the biggest behemoths on the internet with a staff the size of their marketing departments. That means every engineer can have an outsized impact on products that touch tens of millions of users—ultimately influencing how the entire internet works.
The Mozilla Firefox Performance team is a community of engineers who care deeply about delivering the fastest browser possible. We are the team responsible for making all parts of the browser go fast.
Our team is geographically-distributed, and working in the open is the norm. We contribute to the code driving the Firefox browser on a number of platforms - Windows, Android, Linux, and macOS. Our focus is on finding and fixing things that slow down the browser as well as helping other teams write fast and reliable code to make Firefox excellent for users.
Do you have a knack for finding a needle in a haystack? Do you approach problems by looking at the system as a whole? Do you like making things blazing fast? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
What you'll do:
- Write code and tests, build prototypes, tackle problems, profile and analyze performance bottlenecks
- Learn about a wide variety of problems and solutions across a large, mature codebase (ex: what can slow things down when you have old code talking to new code and what can we do about it?)
- Help to educate engineers on other teams about writing more performant code through code reviews, giving talks, and/or writing documentation
- Work with driven, committed team members to help bring the Open Web to millions of people
- BS/MS in CS, CE or 3+ years relevant work experience
- You have experience improving android application performance
- You take an experimental approach to solving problems (including a sense of measurement, basic statistics, and using experiments to diagnose an issue or prove out a solution)
- Care deeply about making the browser fast (it takes trial and error to make an impact on performance, we’re looking for someone who is determined and passionate)
- Strong debugging skills
- An interest and ability to work in a distributed team (which requires good asynchronous written communication skills as well as good verbal communication skills)
Bonus points if you have any of the following:
- Strong background in native application performance (e.g., C, C++, D, Rust, Java/Kotlin)
- Systems experience (multithreading and concurrency, disk I/O, CPU, etc)
- Experience with profiling
- Familiarity with Android or Windows OS application programming, profiling and debugging
We value a variety of voices on the Frontend Performance Team and at Mozilla. You don't need to check every box on this list to apply.
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto and Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs—we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/mozilla/jobs/1769843