Senior Drupal Backend Developer Worldwide
Company: Four Kitchens
We are looking for a full-time Drupal Backend Developer to join our team of talented developers, designers, and strategists. Efforts include working on backend application development of large scale Drupal websites, architecting elegant solutions to client problems using the right mix of community modules and custom modules, developing new custom and community modules, migrating content from legacy CMS systems, and coordinating efforts with a project team.
As a Senior Drupal Backend Developer, you will...
- Develop for multiple devices and interactions.
- Create custom modules and plugins, debugging and patching core components, and understanding the source code of the systems you work with.
- Use and help to develop industry-standard devops workflows and tools.
- Participate in project stand-ups with clients and internal teams.
- Perform peer code reviews.
- Design and develop code architecture that promotes reuse, readability, and best-practice coding standards.
- Understand the web's infrastructure to create highly-performant and scalable features.
- Passionately keep pace with rapid innovation in web technologies.
- Work with project management to estimate new project opportunities.
- Work closely with clients on project engagements to deliver exceptional code, consulting and advice.
You're our next Senior Drupal Backend Developer if you have...
- Experience and passion developing for Drupal.
- Comfort on the command line.
- Creation of and adherence to best practices.
- Familiarity with a RDBM, preferably MySQL.
- Experience with modern distributed version control systems (such as Git).
- Conversational knowledge of the underlying technologies and protocols on which the modern web is built. (domain models, networking technologies, and security models).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Enthusiasm for open-source philosophy and community involvement.
- Intellectual curiosity and passion for making really cool stuff for the web.
- Comfort with distributed teams and working remotely from both client and team.
- Ability to self-direct as a distributed team member.
- Desire to engage with the open-source community via code contributions, projects, presentations, blog posts, etc.
- Professional, yet personable demeanor. You must be able to represent yourself and Four Kitchens to our clients, other members of your team, and to open-source communities at large.
- Experience with additional modern programming languages (such as Java, Go, or Python).
- Expert Level Database experience (preferably MySQL).
- Linux configuration experience.
- Experience working with large website projects.
- Knowledge of best practices to optimize performance.
- Familiarity with Agile project management methodologies.
- Previous work on open-source projects and experience adhering to coding standards.
- Bachelor's degree. (Why preferred rather than required? Because we don't believe that college teaches people how to be good at what they do. Experience and passion are more important, and being a constant self-educator is essential.)
We are targeting a starting salary between $90,000 and $110,000 dependent on skills and experience.
About Four Kitchens
Four Kitchens is a leading digital strategy firm with strong roots in the open-source and free-culture communities. We build websites and apps to engage audiences on virtually any device in our pursuit of setting knowledge free. We hire developers, designers, and strategists with strong consultative skills and a desire to make a difference, both to our clients and each other.
Our Values and Culture
Our Web Chefs bring more than their professional skills to the kitchen, and we encourage everyone to help guide our company’s direction. We all have a strong voice in what we do and how we do it. Collectively, our values—The Way Of the Web Chef—guide how we interact with each other, our colleagues, and our clients. Four Kitchens is not just a company—it's a closely-knit team. We believe in the power of individuals coming together to do something bigger than they could have done alone.
We believe the right talent is where you find it, and, as a distributed team, we’re excited to be pioneers in what we believe is the future of work culture. Even though we have no physical office, we strive to remain a collaborative community using tools like Slack and Zoom. The Web Chefs span four time zones, yet our goal is for team members to feel like they are working together in the same room, even if they're thousands of miles apart.
We care for our teammates as people, which is why we have a generous PTO policy, encourage time off, and have an excellent benefits package. Not only do we strive to maintain a healthy work-life balance, but we also participate in exciting and creative projects outside of client work to expand our abilities.
We hope you'll join us!
How to Apply
Include the following materials with your application:
- Cover letter. Tell us about which of our Core Values resonates with you the most and why (applicants who do this receive screening priority)!
- Samples of your recent coding work. Public contributions on Github or Drupal.org are a bonus, but any recent work is helpful. We are looking for a code sample that will be a good starting point for a conversation about your experience and development philosophy. If the example you provide is part of a team effort, please describe your contribution. Feel free to redact or obfuscate any client-identifying info. If you cannot show us actual code, please be prepared to explain your coding philosophy and standards in detail.
Four Kitchens is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Four Kitchens welcomes applications from all backgrounds, particularly from people of color; women; LGBTQ+ people; immigrants or refugees; differently-abled people; and people from low- or moderate-income backgrounds. Four Kitchens is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, disability status, veteran status, military obligations, marital status and policy party affiliation, or on any other basis that would violate any applicable federal, state or local law.