Senior Director of Engineering, Reliability and Response United States
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Senior Director of Reliability and Response Platforms. The Senior Director of Reliability and Response Platforms leads the organization that drives reliability, operability, cloud efficiency, and observability across Twilio through effective collaboration, facilitation, and product strategy execution. This leader will be accountable for defining, measuring, and preserving operational excellence and continuously improving the Twilio customer experience during times of crisis. The Senior Director of Reliability and Response Platforms is ultimately responsible for the business success (P&L) of the organization, working with Finance, among others, to provide cost-efficient solutions that enable Twilio R&D to move fast with confidence!
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of leading site reliability, performance engineering, incident response, and observability teams. They also have:
- 10+ years of hands on engineering and engineering management experience, preferably delivering a highly scalable service with billions of daily transactions
- 10 years of operational experience, running large scale distributed systems
- You can be a Twilio technical ambassador, a recognized leader in reliability, quality, sustainability, and operational excellence
- Experience managing and growing teams of software engineers spanning multiple geographies
- Proven track record of balancing long-term critical thinking with tactical execution of multiple development plans
- High-growth technology company experience, ideally in a platform company that has scaled to hundreds of millions of users
- Highly analytical with the ability to translate between strategic business decisions and their quantitative implications
- Ability to think critically and objectively; excellent problem solving skills and the ability to make quick decisions based on business demands
- Rigorous, great organizational skills, comfortable with ambiguity
- Ability to distill complex issues into structured frameworks and concrete action plans
- Excellent communication and social skills, ability to be personable yet persistent
- Proven track record of meeting business targets
- Proven experience in building and launching complex platforms at scale
- Extensive experience providing product direction to meet customer needs
- Demonstrated success mentoring engineering leaders cross-organizationally
- Bachelor’s degree in CS, EE or equivalent experience required.
As a Senior Director of Engineering, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Develop and document multi-year strategies to improve and preserve Twilio’s operational excellence and infrastructure efficiency.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify and qualify new products, services, and processes to improve site reliability, performance engineering, incident management, and observability solutions.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead all aspects of site reliability, performance engineering, incident management, and observability solutions and guide all of Twilio R&D to world class quality and performance.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and have significant exposure to our executive leadership.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and discretion in evaluating opportunities, measuring progress, and holding your organization and others accountable for delivering a world class customer experience.
The Platform Engineering team is central to Twilio's continued growth. The Reliability and Response Platforms are a critical pillar in the platform organization. We work closely with senior leadership and all product teams to enable our engineers to ship fast with confidence, while ensuring the efficient use of resources and providing an amazing customer experience, even in times of crisis.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in the United States and is open to remote/work from home. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $214,272 - $294,624
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $200,880 - $276,210
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/2929568