Senior DevOps Engineer I (Remote) Atlanta, Georgia /
2022 Team Impact
Since first launching its product in late 2013, CareMessage has partnered with 400 healthcare organizations in 43 states across the country, reaching 10M+ underserved patients.
In the past two years, from the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic to today, the CareMessage team has risen to the occasion to support a 10x growth in our messaging volume, as well as evolving customer needs- from supporting COVID testing and COVID vaccinations, to filling immediate needs for patients tied to food insecurity and housing.
As a part of the 2022 CareMessage team, you can play a key role in helping improve health outcomes at a national scale for the most vulnerable patient populations.
Who We Are Looking For...
Are you a Senior level DevOps Engineer who wants to create a highly scalable and reliable cloud-based infrastructure utilizing industry best practices? Are you excited by automation and building out an infrastructure to power messaging to millions of underserved patients every month?
In this position, you will play a key role in leading the development of automation in our infrastructure, and creating a highly scalable and fault-tolerant platform. Example projects may include: helping improve our already solid infrastructure to support continued growth, identifying areas of improvement to reduce security risks, improving the workflows and speed at which our product development team can deliver value, and spearheading optimizations to continually improve CareMessage and the product we provide our customers.
Within 1 month you'll...
- Be able to complete a demo of our product and walk-through of our infrastructure
- Become familiar with our backlog of projects tied to scalability and security
- Begin to develop automated infrastructure setup scripts
Within 3 months you'll...
- Understand the CareMessage product development process and key departmental policies and procedures
- Participate in on-call rotation and assist with triaging alerts
- Demonstrate understanding of how to recover our infrastructure according to our disaster recovery plan
- Develop and deliver solutions for monitoring, availability and reliability, performance, analytics, and security through projects prioritized from our backlog
Within 6 months you'll...
- Identify at least 1 are of opportunity to contribute to our backlog, and deliver a solution which meets the need
- Have delivered security enhancements and automation of manual processes
- Play a critical role in ensuring our 24x7 availability and recovery capabilities, actively addressing production issues as necessary
- Begin to contribute to strategic improvements in our development infrastructure
- Lead engineering projects, from start to finish, where the beginning scope is somewhat understood
- Design, implement, and continuously improve our cloud infrastructure and related processes with a goal towards automation, security, and creating a self-scaling redundant infrastructure
- Create backup mechanisms for production environments and test disaster recovery mechanisms
- This team has operational responsibility. You will participate in the team’s on-call rotation, assist with triaging, address production issues, and respond to incidents
- Assist engineering team members in using our services and solutions
- Collaborate with engineering, leadership, and cross-functional team members to meet business goals
- Mentor and provide feedback to team members and other engineers
- Keep up to date on best practices, new technologies, and relevant industry news
- You have multiple years of experience in at least three professional roles as a DevOps Engineer, Infrastructure Engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, or similar Systems Administrator role
- You have experience with Linux system administration
- You have experience with one or more development languages (ex. Ruby, Python)
- You have extensive experience maintaining production infrastructures on Google Cloud, Azure, or AWS (we use GCP)
- You have experience with configuration management and automation (ex. with Ansible and Terraform)
- You have extensive professional experience with software containers (ex. Docker and Kubernetes)
- You have experience with relational databases (ex. PostgreSQL)
This role is currently set at a senior level role, equivalent to someone who has held multiple DevOps-related roles in the past. Their scope of impact at CareMessage will be within the engineering team. Our salary allocation for this role is $149,000.
Note: If you don’t fit this description perfectly (in particular, if you come from an under-represented group), but you would consider yourself a Senior-level DevOps Engineer, please apply!
We believe in equal work for equal pay. All team members performing the same role at the same level are paid the same regardless of where they are in the world.
CareMessage is the largest patient engagement platform for underserved populations in the United States. We want to help create a world where all people regardless of income or background achieve equitable health outcomes. We power the care for more than 10 million underserved patients at over 400 safety net organizations nationwide who receive timely healthcare information, preventive care reminders, appointment reminders, local resources, and health coaching through interactive voice and text messaging.
Founded in 2012 at Stanford University, CareMessage has raised over $25 million from Google.org, William K. Bowes Jr. Foundation, Pershing Square Foundation, Y Combinator, Schmidt Futures, and others.
Flexible work hours as a fully remote team
Generous medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
Health Savings Accounts and Flexible Spending Accounts
401k retirement plan
Short & long-term disability insurance
Paid parental leave for biological and adopted children
9 wellness days to be used for anything that comes up in life or self-care
Paid time off & 1-month (20 working days') paid sabbatical after the 4-year anniversary
15 paid company holidays, plus a ~5-day mid-year break and a ~5-day end-of-year break
Employee Assistance Program
Budget for professional and personal development (webinars, online courses, books, and more)
We are committed to equal opportunity and actively encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, etc.