Senior Developer, Developer Tooling Remote (US, UK, Canada or Netherlands) /
Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people use 1Password to protect their most important information. We’re a kind, curious, and customer-focused team on a mission to build the world's most-loved password manager and give people more control over their data.
The Developer Tooling team is charged with improving the quality of life for 1Password’s developers. That means making sure our continuous integration and deployment pipelines are stable and efficient, our testing support is robust and helpful, and our development environments are easy to use. Our team is all about helping 1Password’s engineers create excellent software with a minimum of fuss.
We're looking for a Senior Developer to join the Developer Tooling team to help us in that mission.
This is a Remote opportunity within Canada, the US, the UK and the Netherlands.
What we're looking for:
- Volunteer to fix systemic problems when you see your teammates struggle
- Have experience writing Slack integrations, CI pipeline jobs, testing support libraries, and other tooling around developer quality of life
- Think deeply about the differences between unit, integration, and end-to-end tests, and enjoy writing all three
- Know how to change an engineering team’s habits with persuasion rather than decree
- Write documentation and give trainings as a natural part of your work
- Take an iterative approach to tooling and understand when optimization is (and isn’t yet) a good idea
Bonus points for:
- Experience with the Go programming language. It's certainly nice, but not required. Show us that you have a great understanding of any modern programming language, and we'll trust that you'll learn Go just fine.
- Some knowledge of Selenium, Jest, or Go’s testing ecosystem. Testing libraries are all pretty similar to one another, but those are the three main ones we use.
- Experience writing command-line tools, bash scripts, or make commands. We end up writing a lot of these on the Developer Tooling team and it’s a bit different than writing a web app.
- Equal affinity for macOS and Linux. We support developing on both, so it’s helpful to be able to test on both.
What you can expect
- Acquiring and maintaining an advanced understanding of the development toolchain and using that knowledge to help us ship code both faster and more confidently.
- Ensuring that code is high quality and easy to maintain by identifying lapses in code quality and gaps in testing coverage, anticipating and reporting potential problems, and helping foster a high standard of documentation.
- Finding ways to optimize our build and test suites, in order to shorten the feedback loop during development and accelerate the daily release process.
- Driving initiatives that improve the 1Password developer experience.
We're composed of people with many different backgrounds, spread over countless time zones, we value having a team that's diverse and inclusive. We also strive to do our work asynchronously whenever possible, by writing things down and anticipating hurdles in advance, but if one comes by, we jump on a video call as needed. This workflow gives us great flexibility to accommodate many different working styles and creates an environment of freedom. That way, we can get our work done in the way that best suits us.
Even if you don’t tick all those boxes, we’d like to hear from you!
What we offer:
Along with joining a connected, inclusive and passionate community you will be eligible for the following:
- Remote-first environment with flexible working hours to accommodate work-life balance
- Competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, and RRSP or 401K match program
- Employee Stock Options Program
- Flexible vacation and time off including additional personal and sick days
- Wellness programs, Employee Assistance Program and an annual wellness allowance
- Paid parental leave programs
- Professional development and peer recognition opportunities
- Company swag and a free family 1Password subscription (and a discount for friends!)
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and when we say bring your whole self to work, we mean it. You’ll join a diverse and inclusive community, built on trust, support and respect. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love. As we continue to build our team, we welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken and veteran’s status. Accommodation is available upon request at any point during the recruitment process, should you require any please do let us know.