Senior Content Designer Remote (US, UK, Canada or Netherlands) /
Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people use 1Password to protect their most important information, and we believe those people – and the companies they work for – shouldn’t have to choose between security and productivity. We see security as a human challenge, rather than a technological one. It’s hard work, but our mission has always been to ease the tension between security and convenience and help people navigate the digital world without fear or friction. Human-centric security is part of our DNA, but human-centricity is also the backbone of our culture. We encourage big ideas and new ways of working that help us to make the online world a safer place for everyone.
Content Design is a small (but growing!) tight-knit team within the design department and product organization. We help make 1Password easy to use and understand. We craft the content in 1Password products, including information architecture, microcopy, naming conventions and taxonomies to help users achieve their goals. Marketing and documentation content are handled by other teams at 1Password.
We’re looking for a Senior Content Designer who can work with product designers, developers, product managers, and user researchers to continually improve experiences in our web, mobile and desktop apps. You’ll bring your writing and UX skills, along with your influencing and relationship building skills, to craft intuitive content design that helps our users get things done. You’ll lead information architecture and experience strategy in your product area, always considering the full customer journey.
This is a Remote opportunity within Canada, the US, the UK, and the Netherlands.
What we’re looking for:
- A cover letter, resume and samples of work. We want to see what’s important to you in your work and a bit of who you are.
- Demonstrated experience working in a product or experience-oriented content space, with a range of experience from strategies to microcopy and everywhere in between (specific job titles don’t matter to us). This is not a marketing role.
- History of working closely with designers, researchers, developers, and product managers.
- Experience with qualitative user research, whether it was collaborating with researchers or running your own studies.
- Exceptional writing skills – you make every word count, prioritizing clarity while keeping a human voice. You love words, but you understand that content is much more than just copy.
- Excellent strategic thinking – you see the big picture, but you also find satisfaction in making every detail right, taking time to analyze problems and separate symptoms from root causes.
- Strong facilitation and consulting skills – you’re able to use your facilitation skills to foster partnership and gain alignment across collaborative design partners, stakeholders, and leadership.
- Understanding of accessibility and inclusive design practices, especially related to content design.
- Collaborative, team-player mindset that looks for (and gives) feedback often.
- Growth mindset with strong strategic thinking.
Bonus points for:
- Experience defining and evaluating information architecture.
- Experience on desktop or mobile apps.
- Experience in complex or tightly constrained industries or sectors (for example, security, finance or government).
- Familiarity with Figma, our primary design tool.
- Experience working with globally distributed teams.
What you can expect:
- Collaborate with designers, researchers, product managers and developers regularly.
- Craft clear, helpful UX flows and experiences with human-centered content design that achieves business and user goals.
- Write and edit accessible interface content – you make every word count.
- Clearly articulate the rationale behind your recommendations, reflecting our standards, content design best practices, and research.
- Frame user problems, understand business goals, and generate useful solutions.
- Lead discussions and help make decisions on features, user needs, information architecture, and other strategic topics.
- Build relationships with teammates and stakeholders while aligning on rapidly evolving projects.
- Facilitate workshops to build collaborative alignment.
- Contribute to team discussions, peer reviews, work processes, and our knowledge-sharing culture.
- Contribute to style guides and systems, furthering a coherent experience.
What you can expect in the first month:
- Review the tools and platforms that 1Password uses, and familiarize yourself with the style and format of our created content.
- Take part in regular calls to discuss workflows and reviews with your team.
- Learn our brand guidelines and style guide.
- Begin to take on small design issues that will help you to learn and grow within the 1Password style.
- Get to know the designers, UX researcher, and key developers on the product team that you’ll embed in.
What you can expect by month three:
- Speak with your colleagues from other teams to understand more about our users.
- Set up regular calls with teammates to discuss projects and update stakeholders.
- Start to take ownership of the work within your area, such as a new feature or suggested changes.
- Be a mentor to junior designers, offer constructive feedback to peers, and continue to help others to grow and develop alongside you.
What you can expect by month six:
- Operate as a key part of the content design team, leading content design in your area of 1Password and pushing the design forward to create a better product.
- Act as a resource to others in the product organization and be an advocate for content design.
- Improve our design to developer process within your focus area.
- Regularly contribute to our content design style guide.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Complimentary Headspace membership
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
> 🏦 A You Need A Budget membership
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact [email@example.com].
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it. If you have any questions about how we use or process your information, or if you would like to ask to access, correct, or delete your information, please contact our privacy team at [firstname.lastname@example.org] or through 1Password Support.