Senior Commercial Counsel United States
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
We are looking for an experienced attorney to join the growing Commercial Legal Team. You will work across the business with a focus on partnering with Go To Market functions to provide strategic, business-oriented legal guidance on a wide variety of issues.
You are a talented and creative attorney who is passionate about working on sophisticated contracts. This job is for you if you thrive in fast-paced and dynamic environments and get excited about closing deals. You have zealous attention to detail, excellent judgment and communication skills, and are customer focused when dealing with both internal and external customers.
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated record of success as a lawyer
- Member of local state bar or eligible to register as registered in-house counsel
- At least 8 years of commercial transactions experience with at least 4 years of in-house experience negotiating complex technology transactions
- Experience supporting medium to large sales organization that sell technology to enterprise customers (e.g., F500, G2000) as well as medium and smaller companies.
- Ability to structure, draft and negotiate a high volume and broad range of commercial contracts, including master services agreements, professional services agreements, partner agreements, non-disclosure agreements, etc.
- Ability to understand business needs and partner with internal customers, cross-functional teams and third parties to find creative solutions to complex problems
- Proven ability to work quickly and provide entrepreneurial, pragmatic, business-oriented advice and recommendations that properly balance the legal risk and business reward
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability to advocate for a position while maintaining a collaborative and open-minded approach
- Skilled at explaining complex legal concepts such that non-lawyers can understand them, the issues and associated risks
- Ability to triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients and delivering results efficiently and effectively
- Good sense of humor, disdain for drama, interest for learning new things, and desire to get things done
As Senior Commercial Counsel, you will:
- Structure, draft and negotiate a broad range of customer-facing agreements, including software and SaaS, partnerships, professional services and outsourcing, IT infrastructure, marketing and advertising technology, and various supplier agreements
- Advise internal clients regarding legal issues, including identifying, managing, and communicating risks and opportunities in commercial transactions
- Assist with the development of standard template language to be used in contracts, ancillary documents and associated playbooks.
- Train and advise new members of the Commercial Legal Team on the preparation, negotiation and execution of form-based agreements.
- Participate in cross-team efforts to develop and implement policies and procedures relating to go-to-market efforts
- Help create and deliver education, information, and training programs for the sales organization on negotiation best practices and relevant legal issues
Segment’s Legal Team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
At Segment we are on a mission to democratize access to good data. We enable companies of every size, from new startups to the Fortune 500, to easily collect all of their data through one standardized API and send it wherever and whenever they wish. Why? Because good data leads to better products, drives growth, and powers five-star customer experiences. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. This empowers our customers to focus on building amazing products and creating personalized experiences for their customers, while we take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale.
Segment recently joined Twilio Inc., which is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Together, the combined entity marries powerful customer data analytics with Twilio’s global engagement capabilities to provide a customer engagement platform that will give businesses a unified view of their customers across marketing, sales, customer service, product and analytics. With this powerful engagement platform, businesses will be able to provide a seamless customer experience from end-to-end.
Segment, together with Twilio, is committed to our employees’ growth, learning, development and entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $132,928.00 - $166,160.00
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $116,312.00 - $145,390.00
Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/2967439