Senior Cloud Operations Engineer Portland, Denver, San Antonio, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Raleigh, Remote US
Senior Cloud Operations Engineer
Mozilla Firefox’s Cloud Operations Team is looking for Senior Cloud Operations Engineers to help us build and maintain the infrastructure that supports Firefox’s many features. You’ll combine skills from DevOps, SRE, systems administration, and software development to influence product architecture and evolution by crafting reliable cloud-based infrastructure for internal and external services.
The 8-member Cloudops team owns the infrastructure for about 70 services, ranging in scale from 2 users to 20 million concurrent connections, which are created by about a dozen different developer teams. Python is the most common language, though Nodejs, Go, Rust, and even Perl are also represented. When you take a look at the source of these services (most are publicly available in https://github.com/mozilla-services/ and https://github.com/mozilla/), you’ll notice that all are dockerized following the standards at https://github.com/mozilla-services/dockerflow.
Each service run by our team has a primary ops engineer as the main point of contact and a secondary to assist with engineering and on-call responsibilities, so no one person has to be familiar with every technology used in every service. Most services require on-call using pagerduty, but we regard pages as indicators of process problems and invest in the root cause analysis necessary changes to prevent failures from recurring. Although our top priority is keeping everything working well, you’ll often have the flexibility to balance your workload with services aligned with your skills and interests.
We standardize our infrastructure code across projects, so that your work in adding a feature to your own services’ infrastructure can easily be reused by the rest of the team. In our infrastructure Git repos, you’ll design, maintain, improve, and review automation, Python scripts, and monitoring code.
This position is available in North America, in office or remote. The team is currently composed of more remote than office-based engineers.
As a senior cloud operations engineer at Mozilla, you will…
- Design, maintain and improve automation and monitoring tools
- Use Puppet, Ansible, Terraform, and Helm to configure and manage services run in AWS and GCP
- Help developers adapt applications to run in Docker and Kubernetes
- Collaborate with agile developer teams to troubleshoot and improve services essential to Firefox
- Architect, write, maintain, and review infrastructure code
- Fix pages when on call, and then improve the infrastructure to prevent the problem from recurring
- Add features to our cross-project infrastructure code, often in Python, so that improvements to your service can help other team members
- Collaborate on GitHub with teammates and developers
- Mentor interns and junior engineers
Your Professional Profile
- Degree and 4 years of experience (or 8 years experience) related to software development and operations
- Proficiency leading collaboration with software development teams
- Extensive experience designing and administering cloud infrastructure in AWS or GCP using Cloudformation or Terraform
- Experience designing and implementing a CI/CD strategy
- Expertise using configuration management to manage servers
- Skill at writing libraries and tools in a scripting language
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
As our team works across multiple areas, you should be curious and interested in learning new things. We are excited to see any additional experience with:
- Database administration
- Open source software involvement
- Network architecture and administration
- Web application design and development
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/mozilla/jobs/1728740