Backend Engineer, Secure (Ruby on Rails) Worldwide
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,800+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
Backend Engineers at GitLab work on our product. This includes both the open source version of GitLab, the enterprise editions, and the GitLab.com service as well. They work with peers on teams dedicated to areas of the product. They work together with product managers, designers, and frontend engineers to solve common goals.
This Backend Engineer role will sit with the Composition Analysis group within Secure. The Composition Analysis group produces the Dependency Scanning and License Compliance features in the GitLab product. The successful candidate will further accelerate the integration of these features into the GitLab platform.
- Significant professional experience with Ruby on Rails
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Ability to use GitLab
- Comfort and familiarity with our code review process
- Significant professional experience in Golang
- Experience working in a peak performance organization, a product company, or an enterprise software company
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Experience working with a globally distributed or otherwise multicultural team
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools
- Confidently develop features and improvements with minimal guidance to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering (Frontend, UX, etc.) to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment
- Conduct Code Review within our Code Review Guidelines and ensure community contributions receive a swift response
- Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team ("technical debt"), propose and implement solutions
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions
- Participate in Tier 2 or Tier 3 weekday and weekend and occasional night on-call rotations to assist troubleshooting product operations, security operations, and urgent engineering issues
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/6049186002