Senior Backend Engineer (Remote) Worldwide
We are a diverse and fully-distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join us as a Senior Backend Engineer, and help us create the technology that powers the DuckDuckGo search experience.
As part of our Backend Team, you will be collaborating with team members at all levels to identify and close major gaps in the search engine. Examples of projects you might work on include: expanding on existing functionality to build new features like improved venue search, or running experiments to improve the usability of our search results. Over time, you will be directly responsible for features on the search engine results page (SERP) and take ownership over product maintenance and improvement.
We are a remote company, we empower our team to work wherever they want around the world. That means you have to be self-directed and self-motivated to succeed. If that seems awesome and you like the idea of our core values -- Build trust, Question assumptions, and Validate direction -- you'll fit right in.
What you will do:
- Lead projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Step up to resolve product issues – large and small.
- Implement and/or create algorithms to improve the content we present on the SERP.
- Collaborate with peers remotely during product brainstorms, technical design discussions, pair programming sessions and code reviews.
- Write pragmatic, performant, and testable code that works consistently across devices.
- In time, take responsibility to lead and mentor several senior engineers, supporting their growth at DuckDuckGo.
What we are looking for:
- Significant backend engineering experience (around 6+ years), having worked on the backend side of at least one large application.
- Experience leading engineering teams of 3+ people.
- A fundamental understanding of complex data structures and algorithms, which enables you to develop and apply new solutions and confidently navigate and improve existing code (ours is mostly written with Perl).
- Creative problem solvers and risk takers. You like to take initiative in pushing a project forward but know when to get others involved.
- Effective project management skills.
- Excellent communication skills. You can validate and communicate your decisions clearly.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We strive to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job, we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expecting an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
DuckDuckGo does not work with any recruiting agencies or services. Instead, we work with each candidate one-on-one throughout a unique hiring process that we've built to reflect our company culture.
DuckDuckGo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Use the application to apply!
Please note that:
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that information submitted is accurate and that you understand falsification is cause for denial of employment or termination.