Senior Back-End Engineer Worldwide
Formstack transforms the way you collect data and put it to work.
We are looking for a Senior Back-End Engineer to help us accomplish this mission!
Formstack is a 15-year-old company with roots in Indianapolis. Our customers span 110 different countries, and our employees live and work across the U.S. and the globe. We provide a work environment that is flexible and provides great freedom for those who can perform. We are seeking people who demonstrate an ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Who You Are: As a Senior Back End Engineer, you are a professional with a passion for problem-solving, motivation to continuously learn, and the ability to make a meaningful impact on our products and teams. You possess a solid proficiency with back-end programming, system operations, and associated services. You have a fundamental awareness of technologies used for front-end development and their correlation to back-end operations.
What You’ll Do: You exercise a relentless ambition to build innovative solutions that maximize functionality while balanced with consideration of application simplicity, performance, scalability, extensibility, and security. You act as a leader within your area of expertise. You communicate effectively and collaborate well with colleagues. You are a detail-oriented individual that helps organize a project and sees its execution from start to finish. You make decisions independently, while also knowing when to build consensus or reach out for help. You are a team player and enjoy having fun.
How You Will Succeed:
- Practice Scrum methodology to ensure features ship as planned and scheduled.
- Collaborate and contribute as a key member of an agile cross-functional team to deliver product features from planning phase to implementation in production environments.
- Serve as a technical resource for development project plans.
- Execute on project features, bug fixes, application optimizations, and technical debt reduction.
- Write reusable, testable, and efficient code.
- Implement security and data protection measures.
- Work in concert with DevOps to manage application infrastructure.
- Participate actively in team discussions, Scrum ceremonies, and product demos.
- Communicate regularly with team members and other colleagues across the organization.
- Mentor others to expand their knowledge, contributions, and professional development.
- Pair-program with peers, where appropriate, to deliver best outcomes for the product.
What/Who We’re Looking For:
- 5+ years of experience in developing web-based applications
- Proficient with command-line development and tools in Linux
- Familiarity with newer specifications of ECMAScript (ES2019+)
- Experience with designing and building RESTful APIs returning JSON
- Familiarity with AWS solutions and ecosystem
- Understanding and experience with serverless (AWS Lambda)
- Proficient with version control systems (preferably Git) and code repositories (preferably Github)
- Excellent understanding of OOP concepts and software design patterns
- Competent understanding of asynchronous programming
- Solid foundation in writing queries and updating NoSQL databases such as AWS DynamoDB
- Familiarity with best practices for security, compliance, and data protection
- Ability to work remote with a fully distributed team
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- The ability to work independently but also work well within a team environment.
- A positive, can-do attitude that is genuine and infectious
- Willingness and desire to learn and embrace new web technologies as they evolve
- Experience building applications for a B2B audience
- Experience with TypeScript
- Capability to write SQL-based queries and work with an RDBMS (PostgreSQL preferred)
- Familiarity with React front-end framework and associated libraries
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, Ansible, etc.)
Salary Range: $110,000-$120,000 per year
This is a Remote (work from anywhere) position.
What Formstack Offers:
- Free health plans, as well as company-paid Dental, Vision, Disability, and Life Insurance Benefits for US and Canadian full-time employees.
- Unlimited PTO for all employees.
- Retirement accounts with company matching for US and Canadian full-time employees.
- The most up-to-date technology, including company-issued Macs, the latest software, and other tools needed to excel at your job
- Company-paid conferences and extended learning opportunities
- Yearly company gatherings
Want to learn more about who we are and what we value? CLICK HERE to hear from some current Formstackers about what matters most!
Formstack is proud and dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities.
Formstack maintains a policy that Equal Employment Opportunities be available to all persons without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, union affiliation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. This means we do not discriminate in any aspect of employment based on any of these characteristics. This policy applies to all applicants and employees through all phases of employment, including but not limited to hiring, promotion, treatment during employment, demotion, and termination.
Salary ranges are determined by industry research and trends. Individual salaries are based on skills, experience, and geographical location. Compensation is reviewed on a regular basis and adjustments are made accordingly.
All data collected in our application process from resume collection to application questions is used for recruitment purposes only. We will store it in our applicant tracking system, JazzHR, and will not share this data with anyone else. We will keep your data until the role is filled and only continue to store it if we feel you may fit future roles.
Thank you for your interest in Formstack!