Security Manager - Data Science, Machine Learning, Analysis Remote - US / Canada
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software and GitHub Security wants you to help protect GitHub! We are looking for a manager to lead and grow our team of analysts that provides manual, automated, and machine learning solutions to protect the GitHub platform from account takeover attacks, spam, abuse, and other forms of inauthentic behavior.
Every day, GitHub and its users are inundated with malicious activity and the GitHub Security team uses a variety of data science, machine learning, and manual techniques to detect and thwart this behavior. The analyst team is supported by a dedicated team of engineers and manual reviewers, and the team and its mission are expanding.
GitHub’s Security team is highly distributed; to be successful you must thrive in an environment of distributed work and asynchronous communication. Strong written communication skills are therefore essential, as is the ability to develop strong working relationships with coworkers in multiple locations. Your success will be defined by the team delivering meaningful results; this in turn will be made possible by your ability to provide an environment of excellence and mentorship, your practice of a consultative model of decision making backed by consensus building, and in general by your providing the team and its individuals with the chance to do the best work of their lives.
If you have a foundation or interest in combating abuse at scale, an interest in information security and engineering, enjoy supporting humans across all experience levels from fresh-out-of-college associates to seasoned late-career wizards, and want to help lead a world class security team, then this might be the role of a lifetime.
- Advise on the design and implementation of automated and manual detection and remediation systems.
- Develop and drive adoption of development standards and requirements for abuse resistance across the company.
- Empower teams to ship abuse resistant and safe features and feature changes within the company.
- Provide clarity backed by empathy.
- Lead the quarterly OKR process.
- Manage or participate in complex projects spanning teams in and outside of the Security department.
- Experience effectively managing and working with distributed and remote teams.
- Experience effectively managing small to medium sized security, data science, machine learning. and/or engineering teams.
- Experience managing people and teams to plan, balance, prioritize and execute on day-to-day responsibilities, projects, and career development objectives.
- Experience supporting governance and regulatory requirements.
- Experience and interest in developing and maintaining processes and programmatic practices.
- Experience or background in the detection and remediation of inauthentic behavior.
- Tenacious tinkering, spelunking and curiosity capacity.
- Expertise with Machine Learning.
- Expertise with Data Science.
- Strong expertise in data analytics.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Proficiency in two or more high-level languages such as Ruby, Python, Java, C#, Bash, etc..
- Building or managing creation of data pipelines.
- Experience with Graph algorithms.
- Experience with data visualization.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/3145182