Search Engineering Manager United States
Are you passionate about search? We're looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead the GitHub Search team, tasked with designing and implementing all Search features in our platform.
GitHub is the largest source code host in the world (terabytes of data) and we have exciting plans to enable sophisticated search features that leverage that code and related data such as issues, pull requests, and commit messages. This is a unique opportunity to enable access to one of richest software-related data sets on the planet, providing new and revolutionary interfaces for developers to find the information they need to do their jobs more effectively.
Our Engineering organization is highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. We care deeply about diversity and inclusivity. As a member of our team, you'll always feel welcome and supported by both your peers and our leadership. You will be challenged to solve interesting and challenging problems. Those solution will have material impact on how the world builds software.
- Partnering with peers and Product Management on long term vision, roadmap priorities, and product lifecycle for all Search features on GitHub
- Driving infrastructure requirements to support learning on top of large data sets
- Partnering with engineering and product leaders to ensure alignment across functions
- Promoting team growth via coaching, mentoring, and new opportunities
- Staffing and shaping the search team to increase team impact
- Managing execution and communication
- Guiding and coaching team members to enable growth and career development
- Establishing and socializing team goals, roadmaps, and technical investments
- 5 years of experience managing and growing high performance software engineering teams
- A track record of high impact delivery and an innovation mindset
- Experience leading cross-functional initiatives
- Experience guiding technical decision-making
- Proficiency in one or more high-level languages such as Java, Go or C++
- Experience with search and information retrieval systems, either custom or commercial (Elasticsearch, Solr)
- Understanding of the core algorithms and techniques behind data retrieval at scale
- Pragmatic approach to decision-making and design choices
- A track record of partnership with engineering and product leaders
- Ability to lead a diverse set of geographically distributed engineers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Working remotely in a distributed company
- Building and scaling distributed services in Java, Go or C++
- Leading or working on a dedicated Search team
- Information retrieval systems for source code
- Operational practices: monitoring, alerting, metrics, and automation
- Diagnosing and resolving performance problems in complex software systems
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 27 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 79 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/1231954