Rust Core Developer Remote (US, UK or Canada) /
Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people use 1Password to protect their most important information, and we believe those people – and the companies they work for – shouldn’t have to choose between security and productivity. We see security as a human challenge, rather than a technological one. It’s hard work, but our mission has always been to ease the tension between security and convenience and help people navigate the digital world without fear or friction. Human-centric security is part of our DNA, but human-centricity is also the backbone of our culture. We encourage big ideas and new ways of working that help us to make the online world a safer place for everyone.
The Core team here at 1Password is refining and augmenting common security-critical code across our macOS, iOS, Linux, Android, and Windows apps, as well as our browser extensions and web app. Our goal is to continue to implement a complete 1Password client backend that will power the next decade of development on everyone’s favourite password manager.
Rust is a new language, and the 1Password Core is an exciting team. You’ll be a pioneer, an explorer; the best practices are yours to discover, and the answers you seek are not on Stack Overflow. As a member of the team, you’ll contribute your talent and intuition to help us navigate uncharted territory, scale mountains, slay dragons, and build the future of our product and our company.
This is a remote opportunity within Canada, the US, and the UK.
What we're looking for:
- A background in application architecture.
- Some programming experience in systems programming, especially some Rust, or C++, Go, etc.
- Familiarity with concurrency patterns in Rust and other languages.
- Experience with WASM, Swift, Kotlin, or TypeScript is a plus!
- An understanding of computer security, encryption, and common threat vectors. Secure coding practices are second nature for you.
- Admiration for team effort with ambition to take the lead on your own projects.
- Excitement for the unknown – you’re always ready to learn something new, and love to work on a cross-functional team (Server, Core, Frontend Clients, Browser, Design, Marketing).
- Experience with cross-platform development for desktop and mobile platforms.
- Willingness to document and maintain APIs, and assist implementers in other areas of the company.
- Enjoy working remotely and independently with self-imposed schedules, projects, and deadlines.
What you can expect by month 3:
- Meet your teammates, get to know them, and learn how your team works together.
- Review the tools and platforms that 1Password uses, familiarize yourself with our development processes, and get your development environment set up.
- Participate in code reviews.
- Tackle a few small issues that give you exposure to the full landscape of the Core.
- Ask questions. Lots of questions.
What you can expect by month 6:
- Join a feature team as a Core developer under the guidance of someone who’s done that before, helping the platform teams implement something new.
- Continue to participate in code reviews.
What you can expect by month 9:
- Join a feature team as the primary Core developer, helping the platform teams implement something new. Or, take on implementing an internal piece of the Core.
- Participate in architectural discussions.
- Proactively review merge requests posted by others on the team and work with them to get their changes merged.
- Answer questions, but still ask some too – by now you’re helping others learn as well.
Even if you don't tick all those boxes, we'd like to hear from you.
The most important thing you can bring to this job is the drive to dive in, get the work done, and fix root causes instead of treating symptoms. We believe in continuous learning and support professional development on the job with a budget to back it up. If you bring a desire to do the right thing for our customers, a sense of ownership over the product you work on, and a focus on shipping quality code, we want to hear from you.
The Core team is a pretty fast-moving unit that’s tackling a number of challenges across a variety of platforms. In short: it’s never boring! We’ve assembled some of the brightest, most fun-loving, kind folks in software today. Join us!
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Complimentary Headspace membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
> 🏦 A You Need A Budget membership
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at email@example.com and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact [firstname.lastname@example.org].
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it. If you have any questions about how we use or process your information, or if you would like to ask to access, correct, or delete your information, please contact our privacy team at [email@example.com] or through 1Password Support.