Research Scientist (EU Based) Remote / European Union /
Citrine is seeking a Germany-based Research Scientist who would be passionate about working in materials informatics infrastructure software development and applied data science methods development in metallurgy. As Materials informatics is up-and-coming, this role presents unique growth opportunities in a rapidly evolving field.
At Citrine, we’re ushering in the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals.
We are the industry leader in AI for materials and chemicals. Our platform provides data management and Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools that help our customers rapidly develop higher performing, more sustainable materials. Our users are scientists and engineers at market-leading manufacturing and materials companies and we collaborate with professors and researchers from world-renowned institutions on cutting-edge research at the intersection of AI and the physical sciences.
In 2021 and 2020, Citrine was recognized for our impact on sustainability by the Global CleanTech Group. We earned a spot on both the CB Insights AI 100 List and the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies in the US. In 2021, we also gained our third patent for materials-specific ML technology. As a team, we are ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, and eager to grow and learn from each other. Our team is growing fast and looking for the best to join us.
Our Platform gives product developers, researchers, and engineers access to cutting-edge, domain-specific AI, all without writing a line of code. This enables our customers to discover and deploy the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals up to 98% faster than traditional R&D approaches. Our customers include multiple Fortune 100 materials, product, and manufacturing companies.
About the Role
Citrine Informatics, the industrial leader in materials informatics, is pleased to announce the immediate opening for a Germany-based staff research scientist in the External Research Department, with an emphasis in materials informatics infrastructure software development and applied data science methods development in metallurgy. Materials informatics is a rapidly evolving field, and we expect candidates to grow into the responsibilities shown below. Under the supervision of Dr. James Saal, the company’s Director of External Research Programs, the staff scientist will be responsible for (1) developing material informatics infrastructure to interface Citrine’s commercial platform with metals manufacturing data and simulation tools and (2) performing state-of-the-art materials data science in government-funded research programs. The person in this position will interface with both internal and external support staff, managers, and investigators to successfully execute funded work. This is a full-time position with tremendous opportunity for future growth, with an immediate start date. This role requires on-site work in Cottbus, Germany. Relocation package may be available.
- Build materials informatics infrastructure and perform high-quality technical work in materials data science
- Rapidly adapt to new material domains and technical problems
- Manage technical aspects of funded programs and regularly report progress to others in the External Research Department
- Manage engagements with collaborators at universities, national labs, and other companies, including frequent and empathetic communication with collaborators
- Aid in the preparation of responses to requests for proposals (RFPs) and actively explore and develop opportunities for research funding
- Assist and mentor interns and postdoctoral fellows in the application of core Citrine technologies
- Interface with Citrine’s other core technical teams to facilitate knowledge transfer to and from the External Research Department
- Publish high-impact technical work in the form of peer-reviewed journal publications, case studies, and blog posts
- Present at technical conferences and workshops and travel to collaborator institutions for program-related meetings
Skills and Experience
- Ph.D. degree in the physical sciences (e.g., materials science, chemistry, and physics) or equivalent experience, with expertise in metallurgy
- Exceptional communication skills in English and German
- German work authorization
- Experience in program management preferred
- Enthusiasm to own projects end-to-end and a desire to drive progress through coordination and project management on research collaborations
- Demonstrated experience with software development, data management, machine learning, predictive modeling, and statistical analysis as applied to materials or chemistry
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously to scope out new projects, prioritize, manage time effectively, and execute to aggressive deadlines
- Ability to program in Python
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin.
Our Core Values
Citrine Informatics recognizes that its most valuable asset is its people. We have created our set of Core Values to encourage, support, and invest in our team as they work to innovate and support a more sustainable world. Our Core Values reflect our ongoing commitment to continuously invest in nurturing our talent and our people-first approach to conducting business.
- We take pride in and recognize the successes and growth of ourselves and our colleagues. We support each other in our growth.
- We prototype and collect data to make good decisions. We question that data and are constantly iterating to find the best solution.
- We are all owners of Citrine and make decisions like owners. We work autonomously with personal and organizational accountability.
- We commit to building a diverse and inclusive community within Citrine and actively promote equity and belonging.
- We are tirelessly committed to creating value for our customers.
- We exist to help our customers accelerate the development of sustainable products that are critical to the future of both our planet and our industry.