REMOTE Developer Advocate Central - US - Remote /
We are 400+ employees from diverse backgrounds, that hail from more than 50 countries, and speak 15 languages. But, we all share one thing in common: we’re passionate about accelerating software innovation. Our vision is to put Nexus products at the center of every open source decision made by modern engineering organizations. We’re one of the fastest growing tech companies in America and have been named both a Deloitte Fast 500 and Inc. 5000 company three years in a row. We pride ourselves on being an open and supportive company, which is why we were named to Fast Company’s list of 50 Best Workplaces for Innovators 2018, 2019, and 2020.
We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in the Fulton MD, Tyson's Corner VA, London UK, and Sydney AUS, we’re very distributed and remote first (and always have been). We use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year.
At Sonatype we value diversity and inclusivity. We offer perks such as parental leave, diversity and inclusion working groups, and flexible working practices to allow our employees to show up as their whole selves. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Learn more at www.sonatype.com.
About The Role
We continue to grow our user base every day and are looking for a Developer Advocate to help share our product with a broader developer audience. As a part of the team, you'll have a chance to directly shape the growth and marketing strategies that Sonatype pursues. Your work will help developers use the power of open source to build secure applications faster. As a Developer Advocate, you will serve as a key member of the global marketing team and you’ll be instrumental in building a large and vibrant developer community for Sonatype. You will lead the prioritization and design of use case demos that will help accelerate developer adoption of our platform. You’ll build and nurture great relationships with developers online and offline, create amazing sample codes, be our developer ambassador, and guide-to-all-things for the developer community.
What You'll Do
- This is a very flexible role; you'll get to join a growing team and shape your own key activities.
- Actively engaging with engineering and technical communities that are passionate about using the highest quality open source components in their applications to minimize risk, re-work, and technical debt.
- Identifying and leading or creating innovative integrations and solutions to help users interact with Sonatype in different environments.
- Generating and engaging in public content within the larger technical community including expert interviews, product overviews, and educational efforts.
- Design and create demos, reference apps and sample codes that closely match our target customer use cases. Publicly share the source code on Github, blog posts, and other developer channels.
- Champion relevant Sonatype products and services to your target community at conferences, meetups, coding boot camps, online forums, Twitter, Stack Overflow, Hacker News and more.
- Build relationships with key influencers, foster a healthy technical community, and collect and prioritize product feedback and technical blockers with Product and Engineering teams.
- Write blog posts on technical topics of your choosing or create video tutorials.
- Organize virtual events (i.e., Hackathons), in-person events (post-COVID), and support the largest DevOps conference in the world run by Sonatype - All Day DevOps.
- Represent Sonatype at other virtual events and conferences.
- Work closely with the marketing team to drive thought leadership.
What You'll Bring:
- Hands on experience with modern development tools, languages and ecosystems and process
- Strong written and oral communication skills and confidence in presentation skills
- Experience with engaging with other developers (through virtual events, communities, etc)
- Eagerness to build awareness of a growing product
- Pre-established credibility and recognition in public speaking engagements and technology publications/communities is preferred.
- A proven passion for evangelism of emerging software and engineering practices.
- An ability to explain complex technical topics in a plain English and approachable manner.
- Shared values with DevOps teams, developers, and AppSec.
- Accustomed to self-empowerment and an ability to plan and execute without direct management.
- A willingness to travel (when appropriate) and work autonomously.
Why Join Us?
- We're a team that moves quickly and intentionally to build better developer tools.
- You'll work directly with engineering and the product team while reporting into the Marketing organization.
- The role is flexible, so you'll be able to set your own goals and propose your own initiatives.
- You'll have direct, visible impact on the product's growth and adoption.
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to be part of an incredible, high-growth company, working on a team of experienced colleagues
- Competitive salary package
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer Time Off (VTO)
- Paid time off that increases with tenure
- Business casual dress
- Flexible work schedules that ensure time for you to be you
- 2019 Best Places to Work Washington Post and Washingtonian
- 2019 Wealthfront Top Career Launch Company
- EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2019
- Fast Company Top 50 Companies for Innovators 2018, 2019, and 2020
- Glassdoor ranking of 4.8
- Come see why we've won all of these awards
Sonatype is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer that is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.