Regulatory Compliance Attorney Washington, DC or Remote
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is a dynamic, unique, and rapidly growing company and we are seeking an experienced Regulatory Compliance Attorney to help lead Twilio’s domestic compliance efforts as Twilio transitions into offering regulated products. As the Regulatory Compliance Attorney, you will help to lead Twilio’s domestic communications compliance efforts and play a key role in advancing Twilio’s advocacy on communications and technology policy issues with relevant federal agencies, Congress and the Administration.
You will work closely with other members of Twilio’s Global Public Policy and Legal teams, as well as its business units and product specialists, to formulate and execute on Twilio’s communications compliance plans and make recommendations on how we can improve. You will report to the Head, Communications Policy, who is based in Washington, D.C.
Twilio is looking for an experienced professional who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of compliance work. They also have:
- 5+ years experience in communication compliance work.
- Strong preference for someone who has worked at the FCC or with prior experience in a corporate compliance role..
- Regulatory compliance counsel experience
- A deep understanding about both wireless and wireline communications statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills .
- Partner closely with Twilio’s Super Network team to identify, analyze and address regulatory and compliance issues related to the expansion of Twilio’s business.
The Ideal Candidate Will Also Have:
A sophisticated understanding of the U.S. communications ecosystem, including VoIP, common carrier, and private carrier regulation. In depth experience with telecommunications compliance obligations, including USF, E911, CALEA, disability access, and CPNI. Preference for some familiarity with technology policy issues and how those policies intersect with telecommunication policies. Experience with implementing unique strategies to address changes in the telecommunications regulatory environment. Previous experience in a technology or communications company preferred. Previous experience working through trade associations and directing outside consultants to achieve a company’s policy goals a plus. A demonstrated ability to think creatively and strategically is desired. A preference to work as a team player; and an ability to manage a large number of projects, working independently, with colleagues distributed globally; be available for occasional domestic travel.
As the Regulatory Compliance Attorney, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: With communications regulatory experience, ensure compliance with new and existing telecommunications and VoIP regulations. Analyze important policy issues that could shape the regulatory compliance of Twilio products and draft briefing papers to help our product teams understand the consequences of such compliance.
- DRAW THE OWL: As a newly authorized VoIP provider, identify and execute on all new and existing regulatory and policy initiatives; Help to foster a light regulatory environment allowing Twilio to offer innovative services with the least oversight.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Ensure Twilio is meeting and exceeding requirements to be a trusted communications provider; Recommend and advance law and policy that will foster greater compliance opportunities; take responsibilities and accountability of your work.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Advance Twilio’s regulatory and policy needs to allow Twilio’s business units to succeed; Cross-functionally collaborate with different teams throughout the company to further Twilio’s business objectives.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Exercise appropriate judgment and discretion in evaluating opportunities, conducting due diligence, and negotiating agreement terms; Be honest and direct.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Ensure the company’s compliance efforts are directed at addressing the most pressing regulatory issue that have a direct impact on Twilio’s business
The Global Public Policy team is responsible for developing and implementing Twilio’s strategic policy objectives and mitigation efforts to advance Twilio’s growth. The ideal candidate should be able to understand and anticipate regulatory and policy developments to ensure that Twilio’s business interests are protected and promoted within an evolving environment. We work closely with senior leadership and product teams and serve as the Twilio’s principal advocates to policymakers and regulators around the world.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communications in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
Twilio’s DC office is located in the third largest WeWork in the country, just a 3 minute walk to The White House you'll be sharing space with members in government relations, public affairs, and law. Even in such a secure part of town, your commute is still a breeze with Metro stops at McPherson Square and Metro Center. Enjoy lunch right in the building at Old Ebbitt Grill, or take a stroll through Lafayette Park. During the warmer months enjoy spectacular views of metropolitan DC, and the Potomac River from the rooftop workspace.
You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/2178801