Quality Engineering Manager Remote, EMEA
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
As a Quality Engineering Manager at GitLab, you will manage a team of Software Engineers in Test who are each embedded in a cross-functional group within our Secure, Govern, ModelOps, and Anti-Abuse stages.
The cross-functional groups within these stages are working across a wide range of domains. From building and integrating security scanners, developing vulnerability management tools, leveraging machine learning to improve workflows, and helping our users manage security vulnerabilities, policies, and compliance across their organization in the GitLab platform.
GitLab's Quality is everyone's responsibility. The Quality Department ensures that everyone is aware of what the Quality of the product is, empirically. In addition, we empower our teams to ship world class enterprise software at scale with quality & velocity.
- Work across engineering to inject testing earlier into the software development process and advocate for practices associated with "Shifting left" .
- Drive improvements to test framework architecture and test coverage.
- Help define the Quality team's road map. Author project plans to deliver against that roadmap.
- Drive adoption of best practices in code health, testing, testability and maintainability (such as clean code and the test pyramid).
- Manage a team of Software Engineers in Test who are working with Ruby.
- Gain exposure to ML and security-related topics.
- Join customer calls alongside cross-functional partners when required.
- Draft your team's quarterly OKRs and manage your team's priorities.
- Track test gaps, quality, and productivity metrics. Work with other engineering teams to improve gaps from this data.
- Recommend improvements into overall best practices, design, testability and quality and productivity.
- Recruit Software Engineers in Test to grow the team.
- Help your reports grow their skills and experience.
- Create a sense of psychological safety on your team.
- Give clear, timely, and actionable feedback.
- Bring a strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Significant experience in the Quality Engineering/Engineering Productivity field as a Quality Engineering Manager, SDET, Software Engineer in Test, or similar role.
- Some experience managing a team of SDETs, Software Engineer in Tests, or Test Automation Engineers or other reports in Quality Engineering.
- Experience using Git.
- Experience with UI & API test automation tools (Capybara, Watir, or Selenium).
- Experience working in teams leveraging Docker containers and Continuous Integration systems.
- Passion for open source, developer tools, and shipping high-quality software.
- Collaborative team spirit with effective communication skills
- An alignment with our values, you're able to work in accordance with those values, and our approach to Leadership at GitLab.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results.
You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect RSUs and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates during our interview process.
We are committed to your career growth. We have quarterly career development check-ins and ensure time and focus is set aside for learning activities. Additionally, we offer $10k USD per year Growth and Development benefit for those who want to further their growth with professional courses, programs, or conferences.
Our Quality department members are able to develop deep relationships across the organization through working groups, team member resource groups, and "the Quad" (our take on the three amigos methodology). You likely will feel less siloed at GitLab than in other organizations you've been a part of.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
Our hiring process follows six stages. The details of this process are documented on our job family page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/6479725002