QA Engineer - Ubuntu Server Americas, EMEA
Job Location: Americas / Western Europe
The Ubuntu Server Team delivers the market leading operating system in the Cloud - Ubuntu Server. Ubuntu strives to deliver the latest and best free software components, in an easy to use and highly reliable form. We build on the technical excellence of Debian and bring additional focus and shape to the solutions we offer the industry. Applicants must be passionate about the future of Ubuntu, mindful of the dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of large but innovative organisations.
As the Ubuntu Server QA engineer you will be responsible for the quality of the Ubuntu Server distribution and collaborating with a very active and distributed development team on all the tasks involved in the development and release process.
- Own quality for the Ubuntu Server distribution through automated test development, driving fixes into upstream projects and Ubuntu, and championing the user experience on the leading operating system in the cloud
- Collaborate proactively with a globally distributed engineering team through participation in feature specification, software development, code reviews, issue debugging through to release testing and signoff
- Listen and respond to feedback from the community through IRC and mailing lists, proactively engage in bug triage, and publish information on new features and tools
- Maintain all test infrastructure and metric infrastructure
- Paid international travel 2-4 weeks a year to collaborate face-to-face with coworkers
- Full-time remote work from your home. Suitable working environment and internet connection is required.
Required skills and experience
- Test automation including system level automation and continuous integration strategies (e.g. Travis, Jenkins, cron scripts, etc.)
- Development on Python projects, familiar usage of git version control, virtualization (e.g. qemu) and container technologies (e.g. lxc), and previous work on open source projects
- An understanding of the makeup of a modern GNU/Linux distribution with Debian or Ubuntu preferred with .deb packaging experience a plus
- Excellent communications skills in the English language, both verbal and written, especially in online environments such as mailing lists, chat systems and video chats.
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule, and to motivate and mentor others to do the same
- Social media presence and/or desire to notify community of team progress through blog updates a plus.
- Degree level education, preferably in a technology field
Keywords: ubuntu, server, open source, qa, testing, python, quality, linux, home, remote
Reports to: Ubuntu Server Engineering Manager
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/canonical/jobs/1325934