Production Engineering - Search Infrastructure Engineer Worldwide
About the role
This role can be located remotely in North America and Europe.
The Search team builds the toolkit that contains everything Shopify developers need to provision, use, monitor and scale full text search infrastructure. We work on tooling that allows application developers to worry about their application and not the underlying infrastructure. We want to encode knowledge and best practices into this tooling so that people can help themselves and not be dependent on a team of consultants and specialists. We have dozens of applications and teams using this toolkit every day to serve the needs of hundreds of thousands of merchants and their millions of customers.
We need a software engineer with experience in developing full text search systems to expand our toolkit so that when it’s time to support a new language, like German or Mandarin, we can do so rapidly. You’ll know you’ve been successful the first time one of our applications hits the front page of Hacker News, we need to scale it immediately, and we hit that button you built to make it happen. All this while reliably and quickly serving thousands of searches per second.
It’s fun, challenging and rewarding work. Applying is easy. Just do it and let’s get talking.
You'll need to have:
- Experience with full text search
- Solid programming skills. We usually work with Ruby and Go but a good programmer is independent of programming language.
It'd be great if you have:
- Experience with Elasticsearch, Solr, or Lucene
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience developing and supporting high scale, high availability systems
You'll be working on:
- Building and scaling distributed cloud based systems
- Investigating and resolving production issues
- Creating self-service tooling for engineers to query and automate Elasticsearch infrastructure
- Making it easy as typing a command to provision a new Elasticsearch cluster
- Tracking and improving search relevance, data completeness and result accuracy
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Jason is looking forward to reading your application.