Production Engineer (Deploy) United States
GitHub is looking for infrastructure engineers to join the Deploy team in our Production Engineering organization. You'll focus on the systems that enable our engineers to effectively and safely add value to the world's largest code hosting platform.
Production Engineering at GitHub thrives on a strong internal and external customer focus and data-informed experimentation to improve resilience, reliability, performance and usability. You'll join us in enabling the future of deployments at GitHub, including:
- deploying code across multiple regions, container clusters, and platforms
- monitoring and optimizing the performance of deployments
- crafting a delightful shipping experience
This team and its parent Production Engineering organization are highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. Our team members span a variety of timezones, genders, races, cultures, disability statuses, sexual orientations, family responsibilities, experience levels, professional backgrounds, personality types, and more. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and to excel in working relationships with people different than you.
- Actively develop and maintain our deployment infrastructure with a product mindset
- Build tools and systems that empathetically and pragmatically meet real operability needs of GitHub developers
- Develop and maintain scalable infrastructure
- Use data to understand the availability, reliability, and sustainability of our infrastructure
- Work closely with other teams from around the organization
- Build infrastructure automation
- Work with Docker
- Operate in high-level languages such as Ruby, Python, and Bash
- Understand the Linux operating system at both a high and low level
- Draw on both system design and software engineering concepts and blend those perspectives based on project needs
- Communicate well and be willing to pair program, mob on tough bugs, brainstorm in public, and otherwise enthusiastically engage with your teammates in group problem solving
- Experience with Kubernetes or other container orchestration systems
- Experience with service mesh implementations
- Experience using Ansible, Drone, GoCD, Spinnaker, Terraform and other tools to enable teams to deploy applications and infrastructure
- An orientation towards product development and an emphasis on user experience
- Technical writing skills
- Experience building highly available systems at scale
- Experience with capacity planning for large, multi-tier web systems
- Interest in or experience with systems languages, particularly Go
- Worked successfully in a remote work environment
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 27 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 79 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/1468285