Product Designer United States
Company: Vox Media
Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
About the Role
We're seeking an experienced designer who can be a core contributor on our Chorus team, our platform for digital publishers. Our product designers think holistically about how our tools support a wide array of user personas for the digital publishing industry. They advocate for and execute on user-centered design by collecting and integrating usability studies, research, and user feedback to inform their work. Our challenge is to build beautifully-designed products and systems that balance the needs of users, brands, and revenue in a way that scales and performs. A Senior Designer should be capable of self-direction, owning initiatives, and using their experience to anticipate user needs and be a strong user advocate.
The ideal candidate has product design experience, a passion for user-centered design, a great eye for typography, and passion for building digital publishing tools.
What you'll do:
- Lead design on the platform through hands-on work, process definition, and documentation
- Advocate for and execute user-centered design
- Collect and integrate usability studies, research, and user feedback
- Work within our internal design system and help to expand it
- Work with editorial teams to deliver user experiences that are powerful, efficient, and delightful
- Collaborate with engineers to implement and iterate on user interface design
- Collaborate closely with PM, Design Directors, and Engineering on how to best intersect business and user goals
- Connect, converse, and collaborate with teams and individuals across all of Vox Product to learn, tackle new initiatives, and meet unexpected challenges.
What you'll bring:
- You’ve designed and shipped mobile and web products, with a portfolio that shows off your product and interaction work
- You have experience working with user research and data to inform decisions
- You can demonstrate an understanding of layout and typography
- You have a curiosity for new technologies and a desire to innovate on how people engage with the news
- You understand how to facilitate rapid iteration of products, and often present many solutions to a design problem to illustrate different approaches
- You are a team player who has the ability to work independently
- You can articulate your design decisions clearly, to a variety of audiences
- You have an enthusiasm for Vox Media and a desire to contribute to our design culture
Working at Vox Media
For more on the things we're building and problems we're solving, and what it's like to work with the Product, Design & Technology teams, see our Product Team blog. In an effort to an provide an inclusive and respectful working environment, all team members adhere to our code of conduct.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Candidates can be based out of any of our US-based Vox Media offices, or may work remotely from anywhere within the major US time zones (Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific)
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds, and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.