Product Designer, Accessibility Worldwide
Product Designer, Accessibility
Accessibility is of the utmost importance in all WordPress product experiences. We are looking for a product designer with in-depth experience designing with accessibility needs and guidelines in mind. You will be working to raise the bar for accessibility in our products, and through contributions to the open source WordPress project.
Which brings us to you: We need you to help us further our mission, enabling people all over the world, to create their place on the web for whatever their interest or need is.
What you’ll be doing:
Objective #1: Lead the inclusive design vision, accessibility best practices, and product improvements.
- Research: You’ll coordinate and conduct research activities (e.g. user interviews, usability testing, data analysis, etc), with a focus on inclusion and accessibility, as a necessary and recurring part of the design process. You’ll partner with researchers, other designers, engineering, marketing, and business partners to define and frame accessibility problems and needs based on this research.
- Communicate: You’ll effectively communicate accessibility research findings, conceptual ideas, priorities, and design rationale in written form as well as verbally and visually to gain alignment and move the work forward.
- Design: You’ll design at all levels of fidelity including user flows, sketches, wireframes, prototypes, visual designs, and detailed interactions for a product at scale — taking into consideration the full customer journey, touchpoints, mobile, and product experience.
- Execute: You will work with developers to oversee and review the building process to ensure a polished experience for our users.
- Iterate & Validate: You’ll iterate on designs according to research and feedback, validating your work with data and real users.
- Compliance: You will use your thorough understanding of disability laws and guidelines to ensure WordPress products are designed with current regulations and best practices in mind.
Objective #2: Push forward the accessibility practices and community at Automattic through mentorship, collaboration, and awareness, raising the overall quality of design.
- Train & Mentor: You’ll empower everyone at Automattic to improve their accessibility knowledge and skills by contributing to internal training, learn-ups, and other resources.
- Evolve Our Accessibility Processes: You will help improve accessibility within our design system and processes by actively connecting with other designers across the company.
- Include Everyone: You will help cross-functional partners to understand and apply accessibility concepts easily by contributing to onboarding and communication practices.
Have you done this before?
Do you have extensive experience advocating for and designing accessible products at scale?
If you’d like this to be your next challenge, send us your resume, a portfolio (if you have one), and answers to the following:
- Tell us why you’d be a good fit for the role.
- What is the accessibility product design accomplishment that you are most proud of?
We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out.
We’re serious about growing diversity in the tech industry. We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and empathy to those with whom we interact. Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences, and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
All Jobs Require
- Great communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is a must.
- Self-driven work ethic. You need to be a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through to completion.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Our business is changing and growing fast, who knows what will be the skills of tomorrow? Flexibility is key.