Product Design Manager, Design System & Machine Learning Remote, Americas
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
As a Product Design Manager at GitLab, you will be responsible for managing a team of 5 talented Product Designers. These Product Designers are embedded in groups with a focus on our design system, foundational experiences, integrations with our platform, or data science offerings.
- You’ll advocate for good product design practices, ensure the visibility of product design across functions, create space for collaboration, and develop a deep level of subject matter expertise in the product areas your reports are operating in.
- You'll mentor designers, engineers, and PMs on how to effectively contribute to our Pajamas design system.
- You’ll work with your direct reports to build out a UX strategy for our design system, navigation experience, integrations, and Data Science capabilities that aligns with our mission, vision, strategy.
- You’ll approach management in a way that is informed by our view on what is required of a Manager at GitLab. We default to asynchronous communication, so your management style will need to work in the context of our all-remote, global team.
- You’ll collaborate with our R&D Leadership team to manage OKRs for our product design practice. These OKRs will shape your team’s process, define your responsibilities as a manager, and feed into the responsibilities of your direct reports while enabling our company to meet its goals.
- You’ll play a key part in the evolution of our design culture and drive initiatives that enable Product Designers to achieve greater results.
- You’ll champion the importance of participation in critiques, content creation, and speaking engagements.
- You’ll foster a safe space for your team, where they’re comfortable sharing feedback and advocating for change they see as necessary.
- You’ll play a big part in hiring a team of world-class Product Designers. You’ll need to be highly engaged in the recruiting process as we scale our global team.
- You’ll work with cross-functional partners to identify and remedy pain points in our product development process, ensuring effective collaboration with our Product, Development, and Quality counterparts.
- You'll mentor others in how to make contributions to our product through git-based workflows where you're working locally in the terminal and creating Merge Requests.
- You’ve got, at minimum, a few years of experience managing Product or UX design teams of 3+ direct reports. Alternatively, you're able to demonstrate leadership skills and experiences impacting design quality at a team level as a Product Designer on a design system team.
- You have worked on complex web applications, enterprise software, or developer tooling.
- You’ve got hands-on experience leading a design system.
- You have knowledge of accessibility requirements (for example, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)) and have experience leading a team to create accessible experiences.
- Your knowledge, vision, and experience will enable you to play a key role in shaping the next evolution of developer tooling.
- You enjoy advocating for user research and usability testing, and you continually look to improve your team’s user research and usability testing abilities.
- You want to manage a team that is designing a complex product with cross-functional users and continually evolving needs.
- You understand frontend code, Git, and the limitations of frontend technology. You are comfortable with Git-based workflows and bring experience with the command-line.
- You’re comfortable with design reviews and occasionally being hands-on with design tools such as Figma.
- Mentoring, leading, and growing your team is truly motivating to you.
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
- You'll thrive in an environment where self-learning and self-service are encouraged and instilled as a part of our culture.
The culture at GitLab is something we're incredibly proud of. You'll spend your time collaborating with kind, talented, and motivated colleagues from across the globe.
Some of the benefits you'll be entitled to vary by the region or country you're in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and are encouraged to put family and friends first with our paid time off policy that doesn't count the number of days you take off annually.
You can work incredibly flexible hours, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. We'll also help you set up your home office environment, pay for your membership to a co-working space, and, every year or so, we'll invite you to our Contribute event.
The hiring process for this Product Designer position typically follows five stages. The details of this process can be found at the bottom of our job family page. Our compensation calculator will be shared with candidates selected for a team interview.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $128,000 - $234,000 for Colorado residents and $128,000 - $262,000 for New York and New Jersey residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/6486189002