Principle Software Engineer (L5) - R&D Billing Platform United States
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Principal Software Engineer to be a part of a team of talented engineers who build and integrate services that continuously improve our ability to provide products to customers while simultaneously delivering industry leading availability. We do this by leveraging technologies that include AWS cloud infrastructure and APIs, Apache Kafka, Rest APIs, while also building our own services or contributing to open source projects.
Twilio is looking for an experienced Principal Software Engineer to join the Billing Platform Engineering team and build the future of our billing account architecture. As Software Engineer your responsibility will be to help design billing infrastructure that works for all Twilio customers - regardless of their account complexity. As a Principal Software Engineer, you will design, architect, and build core platform services, REST APIs and help transition our platform to next generation architecture. We run on AWS cloud infrastructure and use AWS cloud data store, messaging services, MySQL, Redis, and Docker.
You may be a fit if:
- 10 + years of work experience building highly scalable products
- Strong experience with Java, Scala or Python
- Strong experience building scalable software systems and strong background in distributed systems, infrastructure, business logic for APIs or tooling to help debug mission critical applications
- Experience building and debugging high traffic messaging applications
- Excellent experience debugging and scaling production infrastructure and services
- Understanding of AWS infrastructure or similar public cloud providers
- A tenacity for learning - curious, and constantly pushing the boundary of what is possible
- Mentored and led a team of engineers executing medium to large scale projects
- Pioneered and established engineering best practices throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Strong technical and leadership chops - Led technical decisions for your team and influenced technical decisions across your functional domains. Led initiatives/projects that enforce operational reliability factors such as monitoring, performance and capacity planning, security, and disaster response.
- Strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team. Thrive on solving complex problems, and proven the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- Clear written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to manage and resolve conflict - you have the ability to listen, present, and question effectively
- Self drive - not afraid to take on complete ownership of your tasks and champion efforts to get your tasks to completion
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science
As a Principal Software, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- Draw The Owl: You’ll forge the vision for the next generation of programmable interfaces for Billing Platform. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
- Be Inclusive & Empower Others: You will foster the growth of an inclusive, high-performing team. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be an expert to lead and mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- Be An Owner & Be Bold: You will be the technical lead responsible and accountable for the well-being, delivery, and growth within the team. How will you develop a culture of personal and team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes?
- No Shenanigans: Great technical leads consistently display good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
- Wear The Customer’s Shoes: Your team will ship great platform features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes. How will you listen to your customers’ challenges, identify opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time?
- Write It Down: You will communicate effectively to executives, to your peers, and internally among your team. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Will you communicate with empathy and understanding even in stressful situations?
The Billing Platform is central to Twilio's continued growth. The success of Twilio is dependent on the success of the Billing Platform and its ability to provide scalable, reliable, intuitive experiences for our internal stakeholders and external customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be remote. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$146,240.00 - $182,800.00
Rest of Colorado:
$127,960.00 - $159,950.00
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3282873