Principal SRE Engineer - Data Platform, Segment Infrastructure United States
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
The Segment Infrastructure group within Twilio is looking for a Principal SRE who is passionate about creating high quality, modern solutions to complex engineering problems and help define the future of Customer Data Platforms. In this role, you will be responsible for designing and building a suite of storage and compute building blocks that form the foundation of a strong Customer Data Platform. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team.
We are looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of working in a fast paced and iterative environment. They also have:
- 8+ years experience architecting, building and operating large-scale production systems
- Deep expertise in building and operating distributed big data systems
- Expertise in Linux internals, TCP/IP, DNS, Load balancing technologies
- Experience in writing production-grade code in a modern programming language
- Have hands-on experience in architecting and building big data systems such as Kafka, Flink, etc.
- Deep understanding of architectural patterns of high-scalability distributed systems
- Have led cross-functional teams, large projects, or owned and built an important, complex system end to end
As a Principal SRE, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: Architect and build the next generation of data platform building blocks that enable internal teams and customers to unlock value from their data
- BE BOLD: Build globally available and highly scalable distributed systems
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborate with teams across the R&D org to ensure their services are multi-region capable
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Mentor other engineers on the team on technical architecture and design
- DON’T SETTLE: Participate in driving Segment as a market leader in the development of Open Source Software
- BE AN OWNER: Participate in an on-call rotation to support our business-critical infrastructure
A glimpse of what we do within the Segment Infrastructure - Data Platform group:
- One of the largest Kafka implementations that process Trillions of events per month
- Data Platform SREs built Centrifuge, a database-as-a-queue system, which processes millions of events per second
- kafka-go, a popular Go client library for Kafka
- We love finding the best tools for the job at hand, for example integrating ClickHouse for customer-facing and internal statistics and running Kafka and FoundationDB at scale
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is open for remote locations anywhere in the USA. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well-being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video, and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado.
$176,080 - $220,100
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides the support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3462595