Principal Software Engineer, Compute United States
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Principal Software Engineer (Backend), Compute - Twilio Engage
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
As a Software Engineer on the Twilio Engage Compute team, you’ll lead the design and building of systems that process hundreds of thousands of requests per second in real-time and compute billions of data points per hour. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team.
Twilio Engage is the world’s first growth platform powered by customer data. Imagine a platform that can take hundreds of thousands of messages entering Twilio Segment’s pipelines every second, add in an identity graph, overlay high-speed databases and realtime and batch computation engines — and you have the Twilio Engage platform. This platform unlocks our ability to build key business growth features like audience management, real-time personalization, and data-driven marketing campaigns.
We iterate quickly on these products and features and learn new things daily — all while writing quality code. We work closely with product and design and solve some of the toughest engineering problems to unlock new possibilities for our customers. If you get excited by building products with high customer impact — this is the place for you.
In this role, you’ll:
- Become the architect and tech lead for the computation systems that power Twilio Engage
- Advance the state of the art in real-time compute
- Prototype and build a distributed batch compute engine that’s highly scalable and performant
- Create world-class scheduling and orchestration platforms to drive and scale our computing capabilities
- Design and build a programmatic interface for creating, scheduling, and executing computations at scale
- Collaborate with subject matter experts, fellow developers, and internal stakeholders to turn business goals into achievable technical roadmaps
- Drive operational excellence, maintaining robust uptime and enabling continuous delivery
- Mentor and direct a distributed team of skilled engineers
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 7+ years of experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language
- Experience as a technical leader mentoring and providing leadership to engineering teams
- Experience designing and implementing highly available, performant, and fault-tolerant distributed systems that provide durable and (eventually) consistent results
- Exposure to architectural design patterns of high-scale systems (e.g. well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms) and experience navigating and understanding large-scale software architectures
- Well-versed in concurrent programming
- Solid grasp of Linux systems and networking concepts
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services
- Experience taking challenging projects across the finish line, from gathering requirements to deploying and debugging systems in production
- Experience interfacing with stakeholders and translating customer requirements into software solutions; motivated and driven to deliver customer impact
- Comfortable asking questions and taking initiative to solve problems in a rapidly growing company, where it is often necessary to “draw the owl”
- Demonstrated commitment to seeking diverse viewpoints and acting with intention to create an inclusive team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience with Golang and public cloud solutions
- Experience with Apache Flink or other distributed compute frameworks
- Experience with data lake architectures
- Experience managing AWS infrastructure
- Track record of open source contributions
This role will be remote and based in the USA, but is not eligible to be hired in the San Francisco Bay Area.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location dependent information)
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $176,080 - $220,100.
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/4494927