Principal Internal Communications Lead (Global) Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
PRINCIPAL INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS LEAD (GLOBAL)
This role requires a seasoned expert to lead strategies focused on creating an engaged and informed staff at the Wikimedia Foundation and helping to shape a culture of resilience and belonging. Reporting to the Chief Creative Officer, you will collaborate closely with executives and the communications team to co-create culture change through internal communications across the organization.
Your primary objective will be to keep our leadership and staff informed on key issues and share knowledge across the organization. You will understand where the communications gaps are and put a plan in place to address them. At the same time, you need to be able to set up and manage systems and processes to promote effective communications.
Strategy and planning
- Convey complex issues in easily absorbed and translatable talking points for people across our organization and global movement
- Provide strategic planning support for programs to influence culture change and promote an inclusive workforce
- Use internal data points to inform and design initiatives that inspire a highly engaged workforce
- Identify opportunities, and lead efforts to both regionally and globally to demonstrate our purpose
- Design communication processes for internal announcements; co-create design standards for materials and staff-focused engagements
- Advise teams seeking input on how to effectively communicate to all staff or key staff constituencies; Identify opportunities or needs for staff engagement opportunities
- Strategically build and cultivate trusted relationships among multiple levels of leadership across the organization to maintain a pulse on the organization
- Use consultative skills to influence stakeholders across a complex environment
- Research and coordinate communications with executives on key issues facing the organization
- Develop executive program and content for all-staff functions, including overall narratives that support the strategic goals of leadership
- Cultivate communications to staff on the decisions and activities of the Board of Trustees
- 8+ years of professional communications experience in a global organization. Experience crafting messaging and campaigns in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion space
- Willingness to address racial equity issues in the United States and globally as they show up in the organization
- Excellent written English, and good presentation skills
- Proficient use of online collaboration tools (e.g., collaborative editing, chat and group coordination software); Familiarity with digital and video means of communication, including basic production skills (e.g., formatting a photo, building a slide deck, recording audio to be later edited for a podcast)
- Experience working with or participating in multilingual and multicultural online communities
- Organized, efficient and able to meet deadlines and to complete projects independently
- Ability to motivate people and organize them toward common goals, sticking to agreed deadlines and results.
- Competence working in teams partially or totally remote, sometimes at times outside of local business hours to be inclusive of our international workforce
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/2947481